Closed Solved

New PC component and pricing thoughts

Hi Everyone,

A friend of mine is looking to build a PC and wanted me to get him a parts list of what i thought would be good, and I'm looking for feedback on it :). I appreciate any help and suggestions you may provide!

Here goes:

Motherboard: $180 ASUS P7P55D-E Pro - LGA 1156
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-P7P55D-E-Pro-Intel-Motherboard/dp/B002ZV6YMA/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1285571026&sr=1-2

Processor: $200 Intel Core i5-760 2.8GHz 8 MB LGA1156 Processor
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VANRAQ/ref=asc_df_B003VANRAQ1263171?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=pg-408-34-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B003VANRAQ

CPU Cooler: $30 COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

Memory: $190 CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145261&cm_re=8gb_ram_ddr3-_-20-145-261-_-Product

GFX Card: $400 2 x MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127510&cm_re=gtx_460_1_gb-_-14-127-510-_-Product

Case: $80 COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS
ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137

PSU: $130 CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V
2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&Description=850w%20power%20supply&bop=And&Order=RATING&PageSize=20

Optical Drive: $22 LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW (DONT KNOW IF
YOU WANTED BLURAY)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106334

HDD: $90 Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200
RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533&cm_re=caviar_black-_-22-136-533-_-Product


TOTAL: $1322

His budget is between 1200-1400 max.

Thanks for taking the time to check this out!


Regards,
Dave
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about component pricing thoughts
  1. I actually forgot to mention one thing which is probably pretty obvious to most of you; he will be using it primarily for gaming.
  2. Best answer
    Nice build.. However, you can get a better quality modular PSU (XFX XPS 750W Black Edition) for a lesser price.. Also, opt for the Seagate Spinpoint F3 1TB instead of the WD.. Also, for your memory requirements, I'll suggest the G-Skill Ripjaws 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 MHz CAS7
  3. ^+1

    Can he buy from newegg, there are combo deals, for instance:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.492249
  4. Emperus said:
    Nice build.. However, you can get a better quality modular PSU (XFX XPS 750W Black Edition) for a lesser price.. Also, opt for the Seagate Spinpoint F3 1TB instead of the WD.. Also, for your memory requirements, I'll suggest the G-Skill Ripjaws 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 MHz CAS7


    Thanks for the suggestions. I had a question regarding the 750W XFX psu. Would it be able to handle dual 460's and a modest overclock on the cpu? 3.5-3.7 GHz range.
  5. mosox said:
    ^+1

    Can he buy from newegg, there are combo deals, for instance:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.492249


    That's a good deal, but isn't Amazon tax free?
  6. BoxBabaX said:
    Thanks for the suggestions. I had a question regarding the 750W XFX psu. Would it be able to handle dual 460's and a modest overclock on the cpu? 3.5-3.7 GHz range.


    Yes.. Easily..
  7. Best answer selected by BoxBabaX.
  8. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Components Product