Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Double ssd

Last response: in Storage
Share
October 9, 2012 1:37:29 PM

Hello,
this is Ethan .
I was wondering should I plus one more SSD to my laptop.
my computer already has a samsung 128G SSD.
HDD instead of the CD-ROM.
THE perfomance of SSD is amazing.
so,i would like to set up double ssd in my laptop.
but I dont't know how better it will be ,is't nessasery?
besides,The CHIPSET is hm76.

More about : double ssd

October 9, 2012 1:47:20 PM

1958158,1,1428503 said:
Hello,
this is Ethan .
I was wondering should I plus one more SSD to my laptop.
my computer already has a samsung 128G SSD.
HDD instead of the CD-ROM.
THE perfomance of SSD is amazing.
so,i would like to set up double ssd in my laptop.
but I dont't know how better it will be ,is't nessasery?
besides,The CHIPSET is hm76.it do not support raid,right?

here is my laptop.

CPU:i5 3210m.
GPU:650m
CHIPSET:hm76
RAM:8G DDR3 1600MHz
DISK:128G samsung 830 series/seagate 500G 5400
m
0
l

Best solution

a b D Laptop
a c 353 G Storage
October 9, 2012 2:21:06 PM

1) OS + Program SSD - Speeds up OS loads and program loads, DOES not speed up how has programs load, No help for internet/email, does not improve playing movies (I still have Blu-ray rom/dvd writer in mine). Does not increase file load times for files not on SSD,

2) 2nd SSD - again will not increase program run speed. WILL speed up loading of files that re on 2nd SSD. This is a judgement call, space vs performance. Do you see a noticable lage when programs call files that are on your current HDD, if so a SSD will help. Secondary is battery power consumption. If normally on AC then may not be a problem. Normally SSDs draw less power than a mechanical HDD, But not always the case. The Samsung, while a great performer draws about the same as many HDDs. Reason I prefer the Curcial m4 for a laptop. However the NEW samsung 840 will be great for laptops - Great performance, One of the Lowest SSDs for power consumption during read/writes.

My Laptop is a Samsung RF711-S01, 17", two SSDs (OS on a 128 gig M4, and storage drive is a 256 gig M4 SSD), Blueray ROM/DVD-RW, 8 gigs of RAM and a 540m dGPU. I augment this with a 64 gig USB3 Thumb drive and a 1 TB external 2.5" HDD drive - Normally not connected. The 64 gig Thumbdrive I use to store Movies that I play when on travel ( lower power than runing my Blu-ray drive)

Again the Bottom line, is more a personal perference although I do prefer the daul SSDs vs a SSD + HDD.
Share
Related resources
October 9, 2012 2:56:59 PM

Since this is a laptop with no real room to expand your best bet is to do SSD + HDD or your gonna find yourself running out of storage space. My desktop has 2 SSD, but they are in a RAID 0 config, but I also have 2 HDD in a RAID 1 config for storage. Your SSD is generally just for system files. Constantly writing to a SSD shortens its life dramatically, which is why you use both SSD and HDD.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
October 9, 2012 2:58:12 PM

+1 to RetiredChief; it's a matter of personal preference.

As an extra note, putting two SSDs in a raid configuration (striping) will disable the TRIM feature, and cause your performance to degrade over time. If you don't know what a raid configuration is, you can just ignore this :) 

A second SSD won't give you an additional speed boost like what you saw in switching from a single HDD to the SSD+HDD. It will only help things which you currently store on the mechanical hard drive load faster. Often times the biggest benefit from the SSD is keeping windows, drivers, and primary apps (office, firefox, etc); which you already do. Putting music and movies on an SSD doesn't do much. Putting games on an SSD can reduce load times, in some games it's great, in others it isn't noticeable.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a c 168 G Storage
October 9, 2012 3:20:03 PM

There will be no plus in performance by adding a second ssd.

If you need more storage space , then ok.

Better yet would be to replace the 128gb ssd with one sufficiently large to comfortably hold all the data you need.
As a plus, larger ssd's will be a bit faster in sequential operations.
m
0
l
October 9, 2012 3:23:30 PM

RetiredChief said:
1) OS + Program SSD - Speeds up OS loads and program loads, DOES not speed up how has programs load, No help for internet/email, does not improve playing movies (I still have Blu-ray rom/dvd writer in mine). Does not increase file load times for files not on SSD,

2) 2nd SSD - again will not increase program run speed. WILL speed up loading of files that re on 2nd SSD. This is a judgement call, space vs performance. Do you see a noticable lage when programs call files that are on your current HDD, if so a SSD will help. Secondary is battery power consumption. If normally on AC then may not be a problem. Normally SSDs draw less power than a mechanical HDD, But not always the case. The Samsung, while a great performer draws about the same as many HDDs. Reason I prefer the Curcial m4 for a laptop. However the NEW samsung 840 will be great for laptops - Great performance, One of the Lowest SSDs for power consumption during read/writes.

My Laptop is a Samsung RF711-S01, 17", two SSDs (OS on a 128 gig M4, and storage drive is a 256 gig M4 SSD), Blueray ROM/DVD-RW, 8 gigs of RAM and a 540m dGPU. I augment this with a 64 gig USB3 Thumb drive and a 1 TB external 2.5" HDD drive - Normally not connected. The 64 gig Thumbdrive I use to store Movies that I play when on travel ( lower power than runing my Blu-ray drive)

Again the Bottom line, is more a personal perference although I do prefer the daul SSDs vs a SSD + HDD.


You even take the power consumption into consideration.This is the very answer what i needed,thank you, I figure out the relationship between disks.
How come you bring a big one-17'' to travel? haha..
but I also wondering why "not always the case",could you give me an example?
m
0
l
October 9, 2012 3:36:02 PM

djscribbles said:
+1 to RetiredChief; it's a matter of personal preference.

As an extra note, putting two SSDs in a raid configuration (striping) will disable the TRIM feature, and cause your performance to degrade over time. If you don't know what a raid configuration is, you can just ignore this :) 

A second SSD won't give you an additional speed boost like what you saw in switching from a single HDD to the SSD+HDD. It will only help things which you currently store on the mechanical hard drive load faster. Often times the biggest benefit from the SSD is keeping windows, drivers, and primary apps (office, firefox, etc); which you already do. Putting music and movies on an SSD doesn't do much. Putting games on an SSD can reduce load times, in some games it's great, in others it isn't noticeable.


If I have the chance to set up raid,I will. I figure out my question. A second SSD will not make any differences to OS. If I plus one, I just get bigger and faster storage? I guess it is the case.
m
0
l
October 9, 2012 3:37:11 PM

Best answer selected by ethanguan.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
October 9, 2012 3:39:47 PM

ethanguan said:
Hello,
this is Ethan .
I was wondering should I plus one more SSD to my laptop.
my computer already has a samsung 128G SSD.
HDD instead of the CD-ROM.
THE perfomance of SSD is amazing.
so,i would like to set up double ssd in my laptop.
but I dont't know how better it will be ,is't nessasery?
besides,The CHIPSET is hm76.



You seem to think that if one of something is good then two must be better. If I were prepared to forgo having an optical drive it wouldn't be for a second SSD but rather a bulk storage device such as a 1TB HDD. Actually, if I were you I would consider an external HDD if possible and leave the optical alone. SSDs are a great improvement but they aren't going to change any body's life. After a few days you don't even notice the speed improvement any more. Reliability is the real reason to use an SSD.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a c 353 G Storage
October 9, 2012 4:19:59 PM

1) On power consumtion. The 830 is one of the Highest for writes. 5.18 Watts for 256 gig and 4 watts for the 128 gig 830. This is comparable to a good 2.5 HDD.
Idle power is very low, BUT often the SSDs are not really idle as they do CG and wear leveling durning this time (HDDs only draw more than idle i the are doing a defrag during this time, and that is NOT often.
Ref: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6337/samsung-ssd-840-250g...

2) On size. At time of purchase SSDs were still quite expensive, so two factors 1) Required 2nd HDD bay (Not going to give up my blu-ray/DVD drive) and very few laptops under 17" came with a 2nd bay. 2) like to watch movies, hense prefer the larger screen (eye sight at 70 is not quite the same as when 30 - LOL. BUT on that note 17" is hare to position on plane - O Just bout a asus TF700 (10") to solve that and I can store about 25 movies on a 64 gig SDXC card (or a 64 gig USB thumbdrive). Also found that there is really not much difference in weight between the 15.6" and 17" laptops, not when you add a 2nd battery, the Power brick, and other ODDS & Ends.

as ram1009 mentioned - reliability. Not sure as most of my HDDs have been very reliable (SSDs need to be refreshed more often when stored). But SSDs are LESS susceptible to jarring and Bumps that are quite common for laptops than HDDs.
BUT then I did have an OLD compact laptop (STILL USE) that fell off of the conveyer belt and SURVIVED.

On size: I find that 2 SSDs (a 128 gig + a 256 gig) agmented by external media MORE than meets my required space. Don't keep 25 Moves stored internally - LOLs
m
0
l
October 9, 2012 4:44:17 PM

RetiredChief said:
1) On power consumtion. The 830 is one of the Highest for writes. 5.18 Watts for 256 gig and 4 watts for the 128 gig 830. This is comparable to a good 2.5 HDD.
Idle power is very low, BUT often the SSDs are not really idle as they do CG and wear leveling durning this time (HDDs only draw more than idle i the are doing a defrag during this time, and that is NOT often.
Ref: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6337/samsung-ssd-840-250g...

2) On size. At time of purchase SSDs were still quite expensive, so two factors 1) Required 2nd HDD bay (Not going to give up my blu-ray/DVD drive) and very few laptops under 17" came with a 2nd bay. 2) like to watch movies, hense prefer the larger screen (eye sight at 70 is not quite the same as when 30 - LOL. BUT on that note 17" is hare to position on plane - O Just bout a asus TF700 (10") to solve that and I can store about 25 movies on a 64 gig SDXC card (or a 64 gig USB thumbdrive). Also found that there is really not much difference in weight between the 15.6" and 17" laptops, not when you add a 2nd battery, the Power brick, and other ODDS & Ends.

as ram1009 mentioned - reliability. Not sure as most of my HDDs have been very reliable (SSDs need to be refreshed more often when stored). But SSDs are LESS susceptible to jarring and Bumps that are quite common for laptops than HDDs.
BUT then I did have an OLD compact laptop (STILL USE) that fell off of the conveyer belt and SURVIVED.

On size: I find that 2 SSDs (a 128 gig + a 256 gig) agmented by external media MORE than meets my required space. Don't keep 25 Moves stored internally - LOLs



well..after read those, I am going to change my laptop(14'') into 17" :lol: 
m
0
l
!