Temps after an issue.

dlads

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
Hi all,

Just got myself an antec 900 (i like it) and some arctic silver 5 (which imo is better than ceramique) Anyway, i basically popped the components i have into my antec 900 and made a small line across the cpu, around about a grain of rice and a little stripe more (very thin bit more tho) and then smeared it over the entire cpu top. I then popped the cpu cooler on and put the pc's side back together, now i don't know when or how but something must have gotten inside as when i powered it on it wouldn't come on, so i disconnected the power cable, re inserted and powered on, which it did.
It was at that time that i noticed a strange smell, so i bent down a bit and looked in the glass part of the case and noticed a new light? On sticking my face against the glass i noticed that this new light was infact a small flame! lol. So i made a worried face and ragged the cable out the back of the machine and unscrewed the back of the case like my life depended on it, opened it and blew out the flame which was around about a cm in height.

It had left a mark on the motherboard by the upper pcie slot, a small black chunk fell off while i was cleaning the black charred stuff off the mobo and black stains off something that resembled a transistor. I got it as clean as i could and got the case back on (no screws this time lol)

Powered it back up and waited (thinking that my baby had died)... the windows sign came on and the computer booted fine, no flames, no drama, nothing. (great)

Since then, i have had some seriously low temps (for me anyway) cpu temps have been down to 28 degrees C, my gpu temp (fan on 100%, is this ok to do by the way?) is idling on 44 degrees C.
The cpu temp over the last two days has risen to 39 -40 on idle, now i'm thinking that this might be after curing time, but it occured to me that it could be a problem post fire lol. Does anyone have any ideas on this? (besides try not to set your pc on fire)

Did i get the spreadiing of the paste wrong? Or could it be the burn on the mobo?

Cheers.

Specs:

Win7 64bit
AMD Phenom 2 x4 940 3.0ghz overclocked to 3.4 on stock voltage of 1.34v
4 gig ddr2 ram Corsair
2 500 gig hard drives
8800gs 384 meg using tweak forces driver (newest at time of post)
MSI 790GX motherboard
580watt g7 power supply

:)

interesting. Obviously nothing important was burned.

The temps sound normal but what are your load temps? those are more important especially since the sensors are less accurate at lower temperatures.

xaira

Distinguished
so i bent down a bit and looked in the glass part of the case and noticed a new light? On sticking my face against the glass i noticed that this new light was infact a small flame

EPIC LOLZ

u really lucked out, ps upgrade that 8800, its holding you back

dlads

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010

Temps a little while ago never got about 42 degrees, now they never get above 48.

dlads

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010

Lol it was like slow motion when i finally realised it was a fire, do you think i need a new psu? Aww man, not the best of news : (

R u sure?

dlads

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
Opened my case last night and applied some more as5, temps are around 39 - 40
Going to remove it again and apply some to the whole of the heatsink instead, i prefer that method to be honest.

Will let you know how it goes.

dlads

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
Just re applied the heatsink with the spread method and played f1 2010 on high settings for about an hour, gpu and cpu fan speeds are both on 100% case fans for the antec 900 are on medium, gpu temp never got above 62 (idle 44) Cpu temp never got above 44.5 (idle temp at the moment 3 minutes after game is 37.5 )

I know it isn't anything to worry about and i have overclocked to 3.4ghz from 3.0 stock, but i was hoping to push it to 4.0ghz in the future, probably with a better cooler.

I was just worried that the temps rising might have been due to the burnage. I mean i had it down to 28 degrees a few weeks ago.