MA785GM - US2H Wont recognize 8 gig ram

DrFalken

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Hey guys...Got a question regarding my MA785GM - US2H. I bought an HP Pavillion a6750f about 2 years ago. Recently...the MB died so I replaced it with the MA785GM - US2H. I had my buddy install it with the original RAM sticks that came with the computer, 4 sticks of Speed: PC2-6400 MB/sec. The computer would not even start up. He ended up removing 2 of the sticks, leaving 4 gigs of RAM and it works. I know that the motherboard will support up to 16gig (according to the packaging) but I cannot figure out how to adjust it to do so.

My BIOS opening menu consists of the following options:

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.B.)

Standard CMOS Sertup

Advanced NIOS Features

Integrated Peripherals

Power Management Setup

PnP?PCI Configuration

PC Health Status

followed by the standard Save and exit...etc

I checked on another forum (which I cannot remember now) and made a couple of adjustments but none of them worked for the 8 gigs.

Here are the settings as of today (5/16/11 18:20)

CPU Clock Ratio [auto]
CPU Northbridge Freq. [auto]
CPU Host Clock Control [auto]

PCIE Clock [auto]
HT Link Width [auto]
UT Link Width [auto]
Set Memory Clock [auto]

DRAM Configuration [Press Enter]
-DCTs Mode [Unganged]
DDRII Timing Items [auto]
--Everything below DDRII Timing Items is "blued" out

System Voltage Control [manual]
DDR2 Voltage Control [+0.100V]
Northbridge Volt Control [Normal]
Southbridge Volt Control [Normal]
CPU NB VIB Control [Normal]
CPU Voltage Control [Normal]

Please help me to fix this.

Thank you

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there,

Tell us more about your system and what you have done in regard to the new installation, and one of us will be able to help figure it out.
Was there anything specific that happened to the MB to cause it's demise, like a power surge or after a power outage?

Exactly what OS is installed Win-XP, Vista, Win-7? You probably don't recall the BIOS version of the old board, but possibly this new one has a newer BIOS. Take a look in the BIOS for it's version and check on the GB to see what the most recent version for your MB is.

Also, did you run a memory diagnostics on the RAM to make sure they are all OK. Memtest 86+ is a great utility you can download, burn an ISO file to a DVD, and run it before OS loading, on two sticks at a time, to make sure one of the RAM sticks didn't take a hit along with the MB.

Finally, check the MIT section and PC Health section of your BIOS, and write down the BCLK and voltages of all the components listed there.
Even if set to Auto, they should list the voltages of the different components.

With more info, you should be able to get it up and running again.

DrFalken

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Mr. VanKirk,

Thank you very much for your response. I bought the computer from Circuit City, right before they closed their stores. I had the computer for 11 months with no problems. Then the HD fails, I send it into HP, they replace it. 6 monthes after that, the MB fails. The signs leading up to that were, computer going to sleep and not waking up at all, Power button on tower remaining lit (in sleep it turns yellow), Eventually, not turning on at all. The computer has never been without a surge protector.

I am unsure what the old BIOS was for the MB but the new one is running F11 and the OS on the computer is Vista 64bit

I have downloaded MemTest, but cannot find the ISO file to burn to CD...will continue to look when I get back.

Under MIT (not sure what BCLK is)

Advanced Clock Configuratiion [press enter]
EV Firmware Selection [normal]
Adv Clock Calibration [disabled]
x value (all cores) -2%
x value {core 0) -2%
x value (core 1) -2%
x value (core 2) -2%
x value (core 3) -2%

CPU Core Control [auto]
x CPU Core 2 Enabled
x CPU Core 3 Enabled

Under 16x Configuration [press enter]:

Internal GRaphics Mode [uma]
UMA Frame Buffer Size [auto]
Surround View Disabled
Onboard VGA output COnnector [auto]
VGA Core Clock Control [autp]
VGA Core CLock (Mhz) 500

CPU Clock Ratio [auto] 2300mhz
CPU Northbridge Freq [auto] 1800Mhz
CPU Host Clock Control [auto]
x Cpu Frequency (Mhz) 200
PCIE Clock (Mhz) [auto]
HT Link WIdth [auto]
HT Link Frequency [auto] 1800Mhz
Set Memory Clock [auto]
x memory CLock x4.00 800Mhz

DRAM Configuration [press enter]
DCTS Mode [unganged]
DDRII Timing Items [auto] SPD auto
x CAS# Latency [auto] 6t 6t
x RAS to CAS R/W Delay [auto] 6t 6t
x Row Prrcharge Time [auto] 6t 6t
x Minimum RAS Active Time [auto] 18t 18t
x 1t/2t Command Timing [auto] -- --
x TwTr Command Delay [auto] 3t 3t
x Trfc0 for DIMM1 [auto] 127ns 127ns
x Trfc2 for DIMM 2 [auto] 127ns 127ns
x Trfc1 for DIMM 3 [auto] -- --
x Trfc3 for DIMM 4 [auto] -- --
x Write Recovery Time [auto] 6t 6t
x Precharge Time [auto] 3t 3t
x Row Cycle Time [auto] 25t 25t
x RAS to RAS Delay [auto] 3t 3t

System Voltage Control [manual]
DDR2 Voltage Control [+0.100v] 1.900v
Normal CPU Vcore 1.2500v (grayed out)

Under PC Health Status

Hardware Thermal Control [enabled]
Reset Open CAse Status [disabled]
(below is greyed out)
Case Opened Yes
Vcore 1.232v
DDR2 1.8v 1.836v
+3.3v 3.344v
+12v 12.175v
(The rest of the options on this screen pertain to fans, and temperatures, and warning indicators)

I am not sure what a where to find the BCLK as it is not specifically listed.

Something to know about me, I am rather PC literate but not near the level of someone who builds systems. I hope all of this helps.

Thanks again.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi again,

Now the group has great data to work on! Thanks!

The BCLK is the "new term" for your CPU freq - 200 MHz. That's the clock frequency that is multiplied to get to the final CPU operating freq and DRAM frequency. So you found it.

Couple other things.
What is the CPU model # you are using, and give us the Make and Model # of the DRAM chips. Do you know for sure they are on the RAM compatability list for this MB? If not, we can look them up.

Did you buy the RAM sticks altogether, as a package, or separately or in pairs, or did all 4 come with the computer?

F11 is near to latest BIOS version. F12 is the latest, but it fixed a noise problem, so I wouldn't change it. F11 should be fine.

Regarding the BIOS, next time boot up to the splash screen and enter the BIOS, click on "Load Optimized BIOS default settings" and boot on up.
Then go back to the BIOS and see if any of the voltages or parameters changed, if so list time for us.

Also regarding Memtest 86+, after you've downloaded it, burn it to a CD. I am not 100% positive, but think your Vista 64bit should burn it as an ISO file automatically. When you have that, go to the BIOS and set the DVD player to load 1st, the system HDD as 2nd. Then put the CD in the DVD player and it should start when you turn on the computer and test the RAM chips. Test the ones in the computer first, then replace with the 2nd set. If they are all OK, put all 4 in and retest them.

If OK, then try booting your computer with all 4 sticks in the sockets, with the "Load Optimized BIOS default settings" you previously loaded, and see if it works.

DrFalken

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Hey john,

Regarding the memory. It was memory that came with the original computer, all 8 gigs (4 sticks of 2gig). I am not sure if they are on the compatibility list but the computer functions on 2 of the 4 sticks so I can only assume that they are. The sticks are 2gb 2Rx8 PC2 6400U-666-12-e3

Working on the rest of it as we speak.

Thanks again for all the help

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi DrFalken,

Regarding the MemTest 86+, go to the MemTest86 web site and you will find different setups of the MemTest86 Plus application.

I would download the Memtest86+ V4.20 (25/01/2011) Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip) one to your download folder. Then unzip it (or extract it) which is built into Vista, and you will get several files, a EULA, the ISO file, and possibly a Readme file. Burn them to a CD and you are set to stress test the memory sticks. Run the RAM tests through several testing passes, or a couple hours testing for each set of two, so it can pick up any problems with the memory if that is the culprit.

I always download these small utility programs to my "Utility Folder", and over time, end up with a nice collection of tools to use for checking and stressing the different computer components.

Also please check and give us the Manufacturer of your RAM sticks. Might be Samsung etc. Then I can check on compatability and settings.

It seems like a lot of hoops to jump through, but it's also a good feeling when you successfully trouble a computer problem, especially those occurring during the system startup phases before windows is even loaded.

John

DrFalken

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Hey John, The manufacturer of the memory is Samsung. I have also tried running the computer with all four sticks (2 at a time) and the computer boots up with the 4 gigs of ram. I don't know if that helps determine that each of the sticks are good.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello,

Got the Samsung RAM sticks, but didn't get the model number! Is it SAMSUNG K4T1G084QQ-HCF7 ?

One thing to try, is to go into you BIOS, and in the MIT section, under the System Voltage Optimized, change the System Voltage Control from [Manual] to [Auto]. Save this setting, reboot, then close down and try all 4 RAM sticks to see if it boots properly.

Also with all 4 sticks in their sockets, also check the BIOS to see if it is recognizing the 4 sticks properly.
In the CMOS Setup, look in the DRAM Configuration and see if list timing data for all 4 sticks DIMM 0, 1, 2 3, 4.
Give us a report on your progress

DrFalken

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Hey John,

Sorry...had a brain fart moment when I posted the memory info...the serial number is M378t5663qz3-cf7.

When all 4 sticks are in, the computer WILL turn on but it will not go to the loading screen or anything, just stays on a black screen...

Will try your suggestion

DrFalken

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
okay...tried the above mentioned steps...the computer turns on but no bootup or anything. I have removed the Graphics card and tried it with the onboard VGA connector and still nothing.

I cannot even get into the bios to see if it is recognized.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi again,

If you can't even get to the BIOS splash screen, then it is definitely either a BIOS issue, or Hardware issue. Hardware items includ the Motherboard, CPU, RAM, and Video card. Since you can boot up and the video card works with 2 sticks of RAM, it's not the video card. Put that back in the system.
Then with just the 2 sticks or RAM boot into the BIOS and see if any of the voltages have changed compared to your baseline you recorded earlier.

I would definintly run the Memtest86 plus on each of the two RAM sticks, to rule out a defective RAM stick as the cause.
It could actually be a RAM slot or bad memory controller on the MB causing the problem.

I checked your RAM and it is on the Gigabyte RAM compatability list for this MB, so that's a plus.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello,

It could be there is a bad RAM socket or memory controller on your new MB. Did you try two sticks or RAM in sockets 3 & 4, instead of 1 & 2? It says in the manual, when using 2 RAM sticks, it is recommended you use sockets 1 & 2, but you may be able to test the "sockets" by trying 2 sticks in sockets 3 & 4.

You did try the 2 separate sets of RAM sticks and I am pretty sure both set ran OK by themselves.

Again, testing the whole subsystem with all 4 RAM sticks installed (RAM sticks, RAM sockets, Memory controller) using the Memtest86 plus would give you a definite answer.

It loads from your CD player before the boot loader starts, so it will usurp any later problems in the startUp phases. OF course you have to temoporarily set the CD to load first in the BIOS to do that.

Probably the next logical step in the troubleshooting process

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi again,

The private messages don't work most of the time. But you can do this -
I think you said you were running Windows Vista?

Try this to get the memters86+ operational

■Go to the memtest website http://www.memtest.org/Down near the bottom of the page find this exact "pre-compiled bootable ISO zip file, and download it to your "Downloads" forlder

Memtest86+ V4.20 (25/01/2011)
■Download Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). Go to the "Downloads" folder and right click on the zip file, and click on extract all. It will extract the file memtest86_4.0.iso
■Right click on it, and choose "Send To" DVD or CD" (which every you have) and with a DVD or CD in the DVD burner,choose "DVD"
■It will burn a copy of memtest86+ as an iso file on the DVD. When done, double click on "Computer" then on you DVD to confirm the file is present.

When you get that accomplished report back and we'll take the next important step

DrFalken

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Hey John,
So I burned the ISO to disk, opened the disk and saw the icon of a disk and the ISO tag...tried to boot up via CD first and it still carries me through to windows...Adjusted Boot Menu and Bios startup device.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi again,

This has been a tough one! But we will get you there.

give it one more try. Use this info from the Memtest86 web site and choose the first one in the list to download, extract all, and burn to your CD. It the "ISO image for creating bootable CD (Windows - zip)".
I am pretty sure this is a different one than the one you just tried. There is also an instruction sheet on the same page giving you step by step instructions. My copy from March of the latest version has 2 folders and 3 files that it extracts: Isolinux, SRC_V40.zip, Readme.txt, SRC_V40.TGZ, USRGuide.PDF

If successful, great. IF not, email me you name & address privately John_VanKIrk@msn.com to keep your personal info off the discussion board, and I will send you a mini-CD with it burned & ready to use.

•ISO image for creating bootable CD (Windows - zip)

Notes from their website:

•For installation and usage instructions Click Here
•Memtest86 is a stand-alone program that does not require or use any operating system for execution. The version of Windows or Linux being used is irrelevant for execution. However, you must use Windows or Linux to create a bootable CD, Floppy or USB key. The Windows and Linux packages are identical except for the installation methods.
•ISO's include a boot menu that allows selection of the current version (4.0) and a previous version (3.5b).
•See the list of enhancements for version 4.0 below for more details.

John

TRENDING THREADS