"Power Error" w/Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3

phraun

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
I've got a question for you all: On a new build I'm doing I keep getting a long string of rapid beeping when I try to boot it, which the mobo manual labels as a power error. It doesn't POST, there's no video output, it just sits there beeping. This happens inside and outside the case, with or without a GPU, HDD or optical drive installed. I've tried moving the RAM around, using only one stick, etc. to no avail, and attempting to boot without any memory at all gives a RAM error beep sequence. I tested the RAM in another system, it's confirmed working. I've also tried multiple PSUs, several of which I know for a fact work, and all of which have more than a sufficient power rating. I have NOT checked the processor because at the moment I don't have another 1156 board available to me in which to test it, but at this point I doubt that's the issue.

I also ran through this: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems
(Fantastic check list by the way)

Yes I have the 8 pin connector attached to the motherboard. :sarcastic:

GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128425

I've got an RMA# from NewEgg already, and I'll probably be sending it in today or tomorrow, I just wanted to check in and see if anyone had any ideas as to what the issue could be apart from a faulty motherboard. If you think that at this point that's the only thing it could be, please go ahead and say so. :D

phraun

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006

It could be, except I've tested it with four different PSUs including the one that otherwise runs my main gaming rig.
I've also tried multiple PSUs, several of which I know for a fact work, and all of which have more than a sufficient power rating.

phraun

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
Yup that's kinda what I'm thinkin' as well. I'm going to let the thread run until tomorrow morning and see if the gurus have anything to add, but I think the motherboard is probably shot.

nsquid

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
did you ever get this figured out. poor guy with the same board on another thread is going through this and i was wondering if you contacted gigabyte and if they replaced the board or not.