Intel i3, i5 and i7

grandman

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
Hi all

Very confused about Intels' latest offerings. It seem for all the hype, I'm unable to buy a proccessor which will give me support for, DDR133, and hyper-thread technology.

The i3 and i5 have on board graphics, so that lets the out, and i7 only really supports DDR3 1066, when the industry standard is 1033 and rising to 160 and 2000. So i7 is already out of date why do intel do this.

I use my box to build websites and play a few on-line games, so any suggestions, as to what, to buy my old P4 is now refusing to start I have to use the windows CD to get it to load up of a morning.

Thank You in advance

DG)

You missed out a lot of digits in there! :)

You just have to configure BIOS to make i7 support 1666MHz RAMs. Its not out of date by any means. People who have it will enjoy using it for years to come.

For you, it depends on the application you use. i7 950 is the best option for all things. Gaming, multitasking and other video editing stuff.

an i3 should cover web dev surely. So they have on board graphics, but you can use separate graphics too you know. i5 6xx dual with hyper, or i5 7xx native quad, i know which i'd pick, quad over ht any day of the week.

1333 ram speed, realworld very little difference to 1066, for workstations/computationally intensive tasks or record breaking yes, but not web dev.

grandman

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
HI HS,

Thanks for reply, are you saying i950 will run DDR3 1333 ram?

I have constanly running, Apache, php and MySql servers, then I would normally have running, DZ php editor, Dreamweaver, fireworks, maybe a compiler and photoshop, I also run every browser in existance.

I would also be playing a few on-line RPG.

So the i950 would've been my choice, as lonn, a it runs DDR3 1333 at 1333 and not 1066?

Thanks

DG)

grandman

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
Hi Monkey,

I just feel onboard graphics is stone age technology, No one want that. You dont want Ram powering graphics you want pwoering proccess, Ram is always the Bottle Neck of any computer.

So both i3 and id are not for me, in fact I'm very dissapointed with all the offerings from intel and AMD.

Thanks

DG)

You seem to be a lot confused.. Firstly, RAM support depends on the motherboard.. So as long as the motherboard supports it, you are good with any speed RAM.. Getting DDR3 1333 lets you run your RAM and processor with a 1:1 ratio.. Higher speed RAM modules open up the overclocking limits for you.. Now recommending a CPU would depend on your work scenario which you've defined very precisely (good job on that).. The i7 950, as recommended by HellStorm, will be fitting to your needs.. On the AMD front, the X6 1055T will work for you adequately.. Choose either of them depending on your budget.. Personally i'd like to get the i7 950 if i can supply it with 12 gigs of RAM.. On the graphics front, the Nvidia GTX 460 768 MB should cut it for you.. While getting all that, don't forget to get a quality PSU.. The Corsair VX 550W or equivalent PSU's from Seasonic or Antec will be good..

i7 950 would do just the trick for all the servers and dreamweavers. AMD Thubans would also help. But at this point of time i7 950 is an all round deal be it gaming or multi-threaded apps!