Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
This problem keeps annoying me every single time it happens. My game locks up(looks like I'm having lag issues, but everyone around me is still moving like they should) then after maybe 5 seconds the screen begins to tear a huge amount for another 5-10seconds then it freezes again and finally it comes back into being playable. This happens to me in many different games, and it is very random. The card stays in the normal range of temperatures that other people have(yes, Crysis makes it go to 3000C like everyone else's cards, so no worries ;) ).

I have tested several different drivers to try to fix this issue(I even use safe mode and driver sweeper to be 100% sure they're gone before installing new ones). I've had newer bios installed to no avail.

This has happened to me before on the same type of card which I rma'd(after it started to pink screen/green screen). I was wondering if this card will also go bad or if there is anything else I could try...

System:
Core i7 920
Asus P6T Deluxe V2
Corsair XMS 6GB 1600mhz DDR3
GTX 280 SC

thestrangebrew

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
80's seem a little high but I don't think it's too hot. Might be a culprit though. When you're getting this symptom is there stuttering in the sound? Like a cd skipping or something? I've had something similar to this and it was resolved by updating my sound drivers, but this was awhile ago when I was still using sound cards.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Sometimes it's just the video doing this, the sound would keep playing like nothing is wrong. Other times it does skip. It does this at such random times too...sometimes I play for days and it doesn't happen while other times it could happen twice in the same day.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Sorry, the temp is more like high 70's in Crysis while others are low-mid 70's. Guess it was the other card that got into the 80's.
Some of the games aren't multiplayer, and it still happens in those too.

I say try the GPU on another system, if you get the same exact outcome you have a bad card, if not then its most likely a driver conflict.

Going by the "SC" I assume you have an EVGA, if the card is indeed bad you should have the option for a replacement.