help!!! mad start up/ restart loop i cant get out of

my computer decided to restart itself last week and now it is almost
impossible to start up apart from the odd occasion such as now. i keep
getting a screen telling me windows xp home cant start properly and do i
want to go to the last known good configuration, start in safe mode etc. most
times it
shuts down again before i get chance to press a key and gets into a loop of
continually trying to restart. i have virus scaned and nothing has shown up,
the only changes i made before this started happening was upgrading media
player
to version 10. have tried system restore and rolling back media player but
to no avail. the last few times i have managed to start up the following
startservice messages have appeared: "the service data base is locked" and
"cant start kernel mode driver service" whats going on? no idea what im
doing really, idiot proof help please!
1 answer Last reply
More about help start restart loop

    Are you in Safe mode, or regular mode?
    Try using your disk to do a Repair Install of XP.

    "nickyj" <nickyj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > my computer decided to restart itself last week and now it is almost
    > impossible to start up apart from the odd occasion such as now. i keep
    > getting a screen telling me windows xp home cant start properly and do i
    > want to go to the last known good configuration, start in safe mode etc.
    most
    > times it
    > shuts down again before i get chance to press a key and gets into a loop
    of
    > continually trying to restart. i have virus scaned and nothing has shown
    up,
    > the only changes i made before this started happening was upgrading media
    > player
    > to version 10. have tried system restore and rolling back media player but
    > to no avail. the last few times i have managed to start up the following
    > startservice messages have appeared: "the service data base is locked" and
    > "cant start kernel mode driver service" whats going on? no idea what im
    > doing really, idiot proof help please!

Configuration Windows XP