marvin the martian

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Fixing an HP Laptop Pavilion Entertainment PC 6000
the thig was full up with viruses a couple of trojans, keyloggers and a whole bunch of malware in general. It had been extremly slow and the admin account hijacked. after about 9 scans with 3 differerent programs some uder safemode when I could get it... it comes clear. But the OS was damaged says there is no ADMIN user account now. Resinstalled Windows got the admin account back and could not get online to save my life... went to the BIOS and there is nothing that I am allowed to change- wont even give the option. You can just see what the PC is and thats it... I believe at this point I need to flash the BIOS. All I can say this has been the most aggrivating experience...

Solution
Some pre-built computers only allow you to view the information in the BIOS, but they don't allow you to change settings. This is especially true of laptops. It's likely normal.

If you want verification, contact HP.

jakeythesnake

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
Just a question - why did you not just reinstall Windows from the beginning rather than going through all of that ag removing the viruses and malware?

Might I add that if you need to create or edit users you can do so from a Linux LiveUSB after installing the chntpw package. Very handy. Can add/remove users, promote to admin, delete passwords entirely, change them etc.

marvin the martian

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
I will check on the Linux Live USB for the next time thanks! I do have a live ubuntu cd. Started out as just a simple removal...customer did not leave me any info other than it was slow. I have no excuse for forgetting the obvious except I am a tired new tech. Thank you all