Can you have too much Ram?

Igivein

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
Sorry if this sounds stupid, but..............

I've just got a new computer which has 2x2 GB Corsair dual-ddr3 ram.

My old computer is about to be thrown. Is has 1GB of ram in it. What happens if you just keep adding ram (assuming it would fit), does it make any difference? Also does it all have to be the same make,size or company? Cheers.

Igivein

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
first, it depends, what are the specs for the new and the old.?
if it is the same exact RAM as the old then it should work, yes.
secondly, since it's already in dual mode, adding RAM in pairs (2) not singles (1) is the way if you want more.
third, exactly what os are you running, a 32-bit or 64-bit.?

Its Windows7 64 bit. The old ram is in pairs already. Intel Core (TM) i5 CPU 2.80ghz. (I'm afraid I don't know that any of that means).

Igivein

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010

If I simply put the old ram in then I assume I can't knacker anything by doing that?

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
What's the old computer? You need the old RAM to be DDR3 so it physically fits in your new computer. Also you'd need the old RAM to be in a match pair of sticks (so 2 x 512MB) to maintain dual-channel operation in the new machine.

If your RAM has different speeds everything will slow down to match the slowest chips (e.g. 1333MHz RAM will slow down to match 1066MHz RAM), however if the RAM has different timings (CAS7 vs CAS8 for instance) then you may have a few stability issues.

Other than that your only restrictions are the maximum amount of RAM your motherboard can support, and the 4GB limit with 32-bit Windows.

Don't wish to blind you with science, but these are all the things you need to consider, so I guess I'm saying don't bother with the old RAM! 4GB is perfectly fine, and there's too many variables I think to mess about with only another 1GB.

Ok simple answer to OP's question no you can really never have too much RAM but for just about 90% of users 4 gigs of RAM is the sweet spot. More ram can be added only to what the motherboard can handle the most you will see on a desktop I believe is 32 gigs.

When adding memory like others said always add in pairs and make sure all the speed match because the RAM will always run at the speed of the slowest chip installed.

Hope that helps
Good Luck

Igivein

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
Thank you for all the replies.
I'm very happy with the speed of this computer but was just wondering if I should tamper.

However, common sense and good advice means that its staying put, with no sausage fingers findling with something they know nothing about. Thanks all.

If you are happy with your current setup and are having a very smooth experience with everything you do, then i see no point in adding anything extra (be it RAM or any other component)..