Sign in with
Your question

SSD Partition?

Last response: in Storage
October 9, 2012 6:42:06 PM

I bought a new 240GB Kingston SSD. Going to migrate my OS (Win 7 Pro) to it, but should I partition it first? I've Googled several opinions on this, and can't seem to find a consistent answer. 50% of the people say don't do it - doesn't make any difference on an SSD and the other 50% say go for it, keep your OS files separate from data files.

Any SSD experts out there or someone with experience have an opinion to offer?

More about : ssd partition

a b G Storage
October 10, 2012 1:59:58 PM

What do you mean with migrate?
Clone your HDD to the SSD? If you your cloning tool will destroy your new partition in the first step.
If you want to do a new install of Win7 you can just create the partitions during setup.
m
l
a b G Storage
October 10, 2012 2:06:09 PM

You should install Win7Pro fresh on the drive, with only it in the computer - Windows will create the necessary partition

---

there's more to the story, however, that you haven't told us

-like, do you have another drive to be used in this computer? either way, you can use the entire SSD as one partition
m
l
Related resources
October 10, 2012 3:14:57 PM

I have a 2TB HDD for data. Really don't want to do a fresh install of Windows on the new SSD. My current OS install is pretty clean and is also on an SSD, but an older version - one of the first to come out and it's slowing down.

The 240GB SSD is too large just for an OS install - lots of wasted room if I use it for just that. Only need about 1/3 of that room for the OS, I'll use the rest for a couple of commonly used apps. Just wondering if it makes sense to partition the drive before migrating the OS.
m
l
a b G Storage
October 10, 2012 3:42:44 PM

Agustus69 said:
... Just wondering if it makes sense to partition the drive before migrating the OS.

explain what you mean by "migrating the OS", and what software you'll be using
m
l
October 10, 2012 6:24:14 PM

Agustus69 said:
I bought a new 240GB Kingston SSD. Going to migrate my OS (Win 7 Pro) to it, but should I partition it first? I've Googled several opinions on this, and can't seem to find a consistent answer. 50% of the people say don't do it - doesn't make any difference on an SSD and the other 50% say go for it, keep your OS files separate from data files.

Any SSD experts out there or someone with experience have an opinion to offer?

Most computers these days come from the plant with one partition (as the C: drive). But keeping your aps, info and OS on the same partition can be a little bit of a risk with standard magnetic spinning hard drives because of failure rates. If a problem arises with partition's index file (the file that tells your OS where the various pieces of your data are located), your computer won't be able to boot up off that drive--and even if you are able to boot with the recovery disc, you could potentially lose your data...In theory, the risk is significantly reduced with an SSD as they are much more reliable and no moving parts...They can better withstand vibration as well.

My opinion is that its not necessary with an SSD

m
l
a b G Storage
October 11, 2012 6:12:31 AM

Hi, here is some suggestions about migrate OS to SSD without reinstalling, if you meet these conditions you could get full performance of your SSD.
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/migrate-system-to-...
And you could use AOMEI Partition Assistant home edition it is free to migrate OS to SSD.
m
l
October 18, 2012 4:46:28 PM

Thanks everyone for the responses. Going to be doing this on Saturday and looks like I have the info I need.

I'm going to go ahead and do a partition. At a minimum, appears there's no downside to doing it.
m
l
!