Sign in with
Your question

SSD write speed and OS performance

Last response: in Storage
October 9, 2012 7:06:21 PM

Ok, so i am looking into upgrading my primary drive from my 1tb seagate barracuda to a Crucial M4 64GB SATA III.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I am going to be using the SSD as an OS drive only and put all of my storage on the HDD.

My question are,
1. Does write speed affect system performance? The 95 MB/s kinda makes me question whether i should buy a faster drive.
2. Would it just be better to just buy the larger 128GB drive and use that since it has a higher write speed if the low write speed hurts performance too much?
3. Should i just buy the 64GB drive and make it a cache drive for my z68 board?

And on a side note, i am looking into a larger capacity SSD to record gameplay footage into temporarily until i move it over to my HDD and as a scratch disk for Adobe Premiere Pro CS6. Will an SSD be benefitial to Adobe as a scratch disk? or should i get a WD velociraptor?

Thank you for your time :D 
a b G Storage
October 9, 2012 7:16:01 PM

Yes, performance will be limited by the smaller 64 gig drives. I wouldn't get anything less than 120-128GB.

In addition to the OS , you're going to want to install some apps on there. Def office apps and browsers, with all the plugins. Then I like to put a few games on there. At current prices, I see no reason to buy a 64 gig drive, just get a 120GB and you'll be much more satisified with the performance.

Don't worry about a cache drive for now, and def forget about the velociraptor.
m
l
October 9, 2012 8:05:17 PM

buzznut said:
Yes, performance will be limited by the smaller 64 gig drives. I wouldn't get anything less than 120-128GB.

In addition to the OS , you're going to want to install some apps on there. Def office apps and browsers, with all the plugins. Then I like to put a few games on there. At current prices, I see no reason to buy a 64 gig drive, just get a 120GB and you'll be much more satisified with the performance.

Don't worry about a cache drive for now, and def forget about the velociraptor.

Thanks. Would getting the 128GB M4 be a good SSD since from what i have read, the M4's have good bang to the buck?

and just wondering, what is the point to the velociraptor?

EDIT: Also, how does low write speed effect OS performance/general performance?
m
l
!