Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Dell 5150 IDE hard drive installation

Last response: in Storage
October 9, 2012 11:40:17 PM

I am refurbishing an old dell dimension 5150 desktop. I wish to limit the $$ expended on this project. I also wish this to be a learning project for me since I have little money to spend in my retirement.

I have an old IDE hard drive from a dell xps r450 desktop, the first computer I ever purchased. I wish to install this drive in my dimension 5150, in the "flex drive bay", beneath the cd/dvd drive. This is possible and will involve a "boot drive/ slave drive configuration according to the manual.
The power and data cables are evident. However, securing the ide drive in the appropriate cage is uncertain.
How secure does this install have to be?

Grats in advance.

Best solution

a c 107 G Storage
October 10, 2012 12:00:12 AM

Older Dell computers I have worked on do not have a traditional hard drive "cage" they have a single drive mounting point.

As long as the case will be fairly stationary the new drive can even be zip tied in. I did that with my cousins older Pentium 4 based Dell. You will have to find somewhere that the cables will connect but the drive does not have to be secure at all really. You could even lay the drive on the floor of the case although that is not ideal. I have actually had hard drives laying on a shoebox outside my case for weeks at a time when I knew I was going to have to replace a motherboard ( recall issue ).
October 10, 2012 12:09:22 AM

I thought that the Dimension 5150 has a screwless slot for a second hard drive.
m
l
Related resources
October 10, 2012 12:13:12 AM

luciferano said:
I thought that the Dimension 5150 has a screwless slot for a second hard drive.

There is a slot for a second SATA drive, but my IDE drive must be installed below the cd/ded drive as this is the only IDE connectiion available.
m
l
October 10, 2012 12:14:21 AM

Best answer selected by padyboy.
m
l
October 10, 2012 12:14:23 AM

padyboy said:
There is a slot for a second SATA drive, but my IDE drive must be installed below the cd/ded drive as this is the only IDE connectiion available.

For IDE, it should fit in the external 3.5" slot that is usually used for IDE like you said that it does, but like anort3 said, that might need some zip ties. I did this in a Dimension E510, a very similar computer.
m
l
!