Which graphics card is the best for me?

G

Hello,

I need your help please,
I have an amd Athlon 950mhz overclocked to 1.58ghz (2300) -for some reason its description is changed to a sempron when its overclocked- with an Abit nf7 s2g motherboard, 1 gig of ram (2x 512 400mhz ram) A friend gave me this pc about 4 years ago and he said it was built for overclocking, never had any major problems with it

I am currently running a nvidia geforce 6600gt gpu that has become very noisy and in many games , i see short white horrizontal lines appearing on the screen, i think it needs changing!

My current psu is a 350w with only 15 amps on the 12v rail, so..
im thinking about buyin a Cooler Master Silent PRO 600W Modular PSU and then a graphics card that my pc can handle.. Ive been very happy with the 6600 gt but it has been overused and i think its time for a change , something more efficient and more quiet and with better cooling

What card should i go for? Theres a shop with used cards close to me, at dead cheap prices, they offer limited warranty, i was thinking about buying one there, but i dont know which one to go for..

Ps i have been running an ATI sapphire x1950 gt card for 2 months now, but my pc took a lot longer to start up and when i realized the lack of support for open gl and that i couldnt play games like doom 3 for example anymore, i thought i will stick with nvidia for good from now on.. That ati card had minimum specs of 30 amps on the 12 v rail.Still runned for 2 months pretty good !

My gpu slot is an AGP

Sorry for the long post

Thank you in advance for any advice provided

G

Thank you very much for the prompt reply :)
Indeed, what you say is right, thats what happened with the ati card i tried on..
Yes, i took it out last week and cleaned every part of it with q-tips. Im not sure which part of the card is the heatsink though.. The actual fan now is held by two pins that you can push in to get the fan closer to the card but when you let them go they pop back out. Im no expert, but imo it seems to me that the fan is a bit loose? Dont know for sure..

A 6800 you say.. Can i try ANY nvidia card with 256 m of vram rather than the 128 i got now,or is it not safe? And shall i buy that PSU? Because in the long run, it should save me money with the power consumption, and perhaps make my pc more reliable and stable- since it is constantlly overclocked..Plus i got a feeling the psu i got now is a bit.. crap :) Its a Macron MPT 400w, not 350w like i originally posted-sorry!

Thank you for your time!

G

That looks great! And the price is also great! You got me thinking now... :)
I might just do that, i wouldnt normally dare to build my own pc, but, i think i should give it a go, all i need is to save a little bit of money..

Would this one run any nvidia gpu with 256 megs ram though? Im asking because a)i just read that the 6800 gt need a mobo with SLI on it, and i dont think i have that, and b)im going to visit that computer shop with the cheap cards in the morning :D

Cheers!