Sign in with
Your question

Computer shuts down while Im playing games.

Last response: in Components
September 28, 2010 7:57:01 PM

Hello,
My computer randomly shuts off while im playing Empire: Total War. Its a bran new Dell with Windows 7 and its kinda pissing me off because even when I turn the graphics down all the way my computer still crashes and will not turn on unless i hold the power button for 5 sec. im only 15 and not very good technical wise some help would be nice.

More about : computer shuts playing games

September 28, 2010 8:07:06 PM

Sounds like a component is overheating and shutting down the system to prevent damage. Download GPU-Z and CoreTemp and look at your temperaturs when you are playing a game and at the desktop, Also what graphics card and processor do you have?
m
l
September 28, 2010 8:10:02 PM

Why don't you contact Dell?
m
l
Related resources
September 28, 2010 8:52:08 PM

You could also try CPUID HWmonitor and look at the voltage and temperatures of all your units. I'd try that and take a screenshot by opening windows paint, selecting the CPUID HW monitor so its up on your screen and hitting prnt scr or ctrl p then selecting windows paint and hitting ctrl v.

Then post the image on the forums if you can, or if you can't host the file somewhere and provide us with a link.

If I were you I would NOT play any games until you figure this out. Sounds like something is seriously wrong.
m
l
September 28, 2010 9:17:28 PM

Have you tried other games? It could be a memory leak in the game itself and not a hardware fault.
m
l
September 29, 2010 2:17:12 AM

ram1009 said:
Why don't you contact Dell?

I did and they did not know what it was.
m
l
September 29, 2010 2:18:38 AM

siliconvideo said:
Have you tried other games? It could be a memory leak in the game itself and not a hardware fault.

I have and some of them work and some dont its all random.
m
l
!