Deciding on which i7 processor to get?

buzzbrn

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
Hi, i am looking on building my first gaming system. I am not looking at supper high performance like 6 cores. I am looking at a system to play FSX and Crysis, COD: WM2 online and so forth. I am more towards the setting being able to play on high with smooth fps. I am not looking to play on super resolution 2560 x something, more like something around the 720p mark. More forth, i want to be able to view movies in 1080p, work with making and editing movies in HD, and doing typical college work. I don't know what chipset to get and I DON'T want integrated graphics either. I am looking a ONE GeForce GTX 470 or 480 card. I wont be doubling up the cards with SLI. I am going to use the Sata 6 GB/s HD either from WD or somebody else and and would like to use the new usb 3.0. I am leaning towards the Gigabyte motherboard and so forth. My budget it somewhere around the 1500 mark too. Thanks

Timop

Distinguished
Honestly for your needs, the i5 750/760 would be enough . The fact is one 470 will max out 720p for the next 3 years. and instead Id recommend a GTX460 really. OC it and you get a 470-esque performer that runs cooler and use less power.

buzzbrn

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010

Yea, sorry for that. 875K. But I don't know anything on overclocking and if I try to go that direction, I figure I will burn the house down. On the graghincs, I found one by GIGABYTE, a 470 that is already overclocked and has a custom cooling unit on top already, and it is priced at the same as a stander 470, so I might get that. On the i5 processor, since I don't know anything on overclocking, it would be better to get the 875K since the turbo boost allows it to go to 3.6 Ghz. Onto my next question, I really don't see the difference in the CPU coolers, should I go to liquid or keep it a fan type. I will have ton of air flow since I am buying the NZXT Phantom tower.