Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I5 stock heatsink

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2010 9:00:44 PM

I'll be getting the i5-760 cpu in the mail in 2 days. I've read and heard that others that have used the stock heatsink have had idle temps over 60 and load temps close to 90. Since this cpu auto overclocks itself i don't think the stock heatsink is gonna do. SO. Since i'm getting my new comp gear in the mail in 2 days i don't wanna wait extra time to put it together so i'm just gonna go bestbuy since i can just drive over there(i know their stuff is slightly overpriced) But yeah. compared to the stock heatsink think this'll be okay?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketfish%26%23153%3B+-+Un...

30 bucks, doesn't look that bad. Or is there a better one i can get that they offer?

And could i like, add this to it?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Antec+-+TriCool+80mm+LED+CP...

I like antec.

Or just better to get one of these and no additional fan?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Corsair+-+Cooling+Air+Serie...

bestbuy online gives crap descriptions i know.

More about : stock heatsink

Best solution

a b à CPUs
September 28, 2010 9:17:59 PM

Yes, it "auto overclocks" itself, but it's called Turbo Boost and will only do so if the thermal envelope permits it, i.e. if it is cool enough and extra performance is needed, it will up the clock speed.

Another thing to keep in mind is the case and what kind of ventilation you have. If you have a good, roomy case with plenty of ventilation and some decent fans at work, I suspect that you will not see temps as high as you mentioned. Also, keep in mind that some of the temps you saw may have been from overclocked models.

Never the less, it doesn't hurt to go with a third party cooler and will definitely give you lower temps than the stock cooler, especially if you plan to overclock. Have you checked out NewEgg or Tiger Direct for coolers, as their respective selections are a lot better than you'll find on BestBuy?

Hopefully some guys with third party coolers on their i5's can chip in and give you a recommendation or two.
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2010 10:52:18 PM

buwish said:
Yes, it "auto overclocks" itself, but it's called Turbo Boost and will only do so if the thermal envelope permits it, i.e. if it is cool enough and extra performance is needed, it will up the clock speed.

Another thing to keep in mind is the case and what kind of ventilation you have. If you have a good, roomy case with plenty of ventilation and some decent fans at work, I suspect that you will not see temps as high as you mentioned. Also, keep in mind that some of the temps you saw may have been from overclocked models.

Never the less, it doesn't hurt to go with a third party cooler and will definitely give you lower temps than the stock cooler, especially if you plan to overclock. Have you checked out NewEgg or Tiger Direct for coolers, as their respective selections are a lot better than you'll find on BestBuy?

Hopefully some guys with third party coolers on their i5's can chip in and give you a recommendation or two.

I know what turbo boost is and what it does. It increases it's clock speeds when it has room. I did not ask about what turbo boost does as i already know. And who would not want Turbo Boost to do so unless you manually overclock? Because if the cpu is at lower temps Turbo Boost would work better which is the entire reason on why i'm getting a better cooler and i need one within 48 hours to which tigerdirect or newegg can not offer unless i spend the amount of the actual cooler for shipping.

Anyway i bought the rocketfish one, i heard good reviews from it. Will see how it works out. But if anyone has tried it with an i5 you could leave a message.

And thanks about the ventilation part, i have okay ventilation so i'll see what i can do
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2010 11:36:08 PM

I just installed the Antec Case Fan and it's awesome. It will go very well with this new heat sink simply because of the design of the heat sink and position of both the Antec case fan and my PSU fan. Overall ventilation is good and my heatsink and CPU should remain cool once i install the new mobo, cpu and heat sink in 2 days that is.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2010 11:36:32 PM

Best answer selected by fatedcloud.
m
l
!