LG cell phone and the internet

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
April 5, 2005 9:07:32 AM

I have one of these new fangled LG cell phones which allows the connection to
the Internet. Got a data cable in hopes to connect it to my PC and do work on
the computer via the cell phone. I was told I have to use cingular's ISP and
not the one I use. This true? If not, how do I setup the cell phone and PC?

I tried looking for the model number on the LED display, but cant seem to
find it there.

thanks!

More about : cell phone internet

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 10:49:56 PM

in most all cases...you can't just have a data cable and the phone to
get online...you also need a software suite installed on your PC to
communicate w/ the computer...otherwise your operating system doesn't
know how to talk to your cell. a prime example of this is motorolas
mobile tools (it has its problems..but its still the only mobile phone
software i've found even halfway good).

Also, you need to use cingulars internet service to get online with the
phone. cingular sells software that will get your LG online...but if
you don't have EDGE in your phone, which none of our LG's do....forget
about it. GPRS is a joke for connecting a PC to the internet, its
slow as dirt (slightly slower than dialup). If you are w/in your trial
period from purchasing your phone, i would return the phone for one w/
edge capability, its muuuuuch faster.

The problem with getting cell phones to work with most regular dialup
ISP's, is the fact that our cell phones do not have a dialtone...and
the windows dialer requires a dial tone. Maybe someone knows a way
around this...but if there is one...i guarantee its not simple...and
also not worth it.

I hope this helps.

--
FLyGTi
April 5, 2005 10:53:01 PM

also, if you want the model number of the phone, its underneath the
battery. please dont take this the wrong way, as i'm not trying to be
a jerk...but i work for cingular, and all of the reps working for our
company have had bad luck with most of the LG phones. The verizon LG
phones are decent...but the ones we offer are pretty
horrible...especially reception. is it an LG C1300 by chance?

EDIT: just noticed you said it has a LED display on the front...so its
either a L1200 or an L1400. if it is very square its an L1200. neither
of these are as bad as the c1300...that phone is pure junk.

--
FLyGTi
April 6, 2005 11:51:11 AM

In article <FLyGTi.1n1idy@nospam.cellphoneforums.net>,
FLyGTi.1n1idy@nospam.cellphoneforums.net says...
> The problem with getting cell phones to work with most regular dialup
> ISP's, is the fact that our cell phones do not have a dialtone...and
> the windows dialer requires a dial tone. Maybe someone knows a way
> around this...but if there is one...i guarantee its not simple...and
> also not worth it.

before xp there was a modem configuration menu option that would allow
entry of addtional command strings, I just looked and it is no longer
there. I'm pretty sure you could set modems to not wait for dial tone
before dialing via a command string. This was before cell phones as modems
so it would depend on if the modem in the cell phone was "56K compatible"
and if there is a command line interface in the cell phone modem software
to send additional configuration strings. If both are true then it should
be possible to set the cell phone modem to not wait for dialtone before
dialing. It's a matter of setting a bit in the ROM and once set it will
stay set until it is reset to a different setting,(I think) so maybe
someone has software that can do it, like the old Win98 program. I think if
you can get a Win98/WinME machine to recognize the cellphone as a modem it
can be done. Or if you can find a old 3rd party dialer with the command
string interface, and set it for compatible mode in XP then it may work.
!