Toshiba Satellite Pro 4260 Hard Drive Upgrade

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
November 17, 2004 10:08:08 PM

I have an older Toshiba Satellite Pro 4260 with a 10gig 4200 RPM hard drive
and was wondering if a 40 gig 5400 rpm hard drive would work in it.If not
would a 40 gig 4200 rpm work fine in this older notebook.I want to make sure
before I upgrade.I am looking at the following drives as possible
replacements:

http://www.niagaracomputersupplies.com/product_info.php...

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=12099&vpn=ST...

Any advise on suitable hard drive upgrades for this Sat Pro 4260 would be
greatly appreciated.Thanks
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 17, 2004 10:08:09 PM

J D wrote:
> I have an older Toshiba Satellite Pro 4260 with a 10gig 4200 RPM hard
> drive and was wondering if a 40 gig 5400 rpm hard drive would work in
> it.If not would a 40 gig 4200 rpm work fine in this older notebook.I
> want to make sure before I upgrade.I am looking at the following
> drives as possible replacements:
>
> http://www.niagaracomputersupplies.com/product_info.php...
>
> http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=12099&vpn=ST...
>
> Any advise on suitable hard drive upgrades for this Sat Pro 4260
> would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

I am a big fan of Hitachi drives, particularly the 5400 and 7200 rpm
drives - they run cool and are quiet. Toshiba has been having failures
with their higher speed notebook drives (see posts earlier) so you need
to make sure you have the "new improved" drive. The 7200 rpm drive might
be overkill but a 5400 rpm drive will make a substantial improvement in
performance on an older laptop. If your OS does not support NTFS or the
BIOS has a limit, you will only have to partition the drive to make it
work. FAT32 has a 32GB limit AIRC. Typically with a removable drive,
it takes only minutes to install a new drive using the existing drive
carraige and connector. You can partition with a boot floppy if
necessary or use the OS install disk. If you have XP installed no
partitioning will be required.

a b D Laptop
November 18, 2004 5:52:10 AM

Actually, there is no specific limit on the size of a FAT32 partition.
MICROSOFT products won't format a partition larger than that, but they
will use such a partition if you create it with a 3rd party product
(partition magic, for example).

Further, even the limit on formatting only applies to partitions, not to
the drive. So, even if the limit was absolute, you could have a 96 gig
drive broken into 3 partitions of 32 megs each.

Everything said, however, I don't recommend FAT32 partitions larger than
32 megs, or even 16 megs. While it works, FAT32 can become slow and
inefficient when the partition size gets very large.

Quaoar wrote:

> J D wrote:
>
>>I have an older Toshiba Satellite Pro 4260 with a 10gig 4200 RPM hard
>>drive and was wondering if a 40 gig 5400 rpm hard drive would work in
>>it.If not would a 40 gig 4200 rpm work fine in this older notebook.I
>>want to make sure before I upgrade.I am looking at the following
>>drives as possible replacements:
>>
>>http://www.niagaracomputersupplies.com/product_info.php...
>>
>>http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=12099&vpn=ST...
>>
>>Any advise on suitable hard drive upgrades for this Sat Pro 4260
>>would be greatly appreciated.Thanks
>

> I am a big fan of Hitachi drives, particularly the 5400 and 7200 rpm
> drives - they run cool and are quiet. Toshiba has been having failures
> with their higher speed notebook drives (see posts earlier) so you need
> to make sure you have the "new improved" drive. The 7200 rpm drive might
> be overkill but a 5400 rpm drive will make a substantial improvement in
> performance on an older laptop. If your OS does not support NTFS or the
> BIOS has a limit, you will only have to partition the drive to make it
> work. FAT32 has a 32GB limit AIRC. Typically with a removable drive,
> it takes only minutes to install a new drive using the existing drive
> carraige and connector. You can partition with a boot floppy if
> necessary or use the OS install disk. If you have XP installed no
> partitioning will be required.

a b D Laptop
November 18, 2004 2:31:39 PM

Thanks for the replies guy's.I have WIN2K pro installed and the drive is
formatted with FAT32.I just got this from a friend for a good price but I
would think that the drive could be formatted with NTFS.I also noticed that
the BIOS hasn't been updated in awhile either so I think I will update that
to the newest.So from what I gather a 40G 5400 rpm drive should work fine in
this old laptop.Thanks again guy's.

> J D wrote:
> > I have an older Toshiba Satellite Pro 4260 with a 10gig 4200 RPM hard
> > drive and was wondering if a 40 gig 5400 rpm hard drive would work in
> > it.If not would a 40 gig 4200 rpm work fine in this older notebook.I
> > want to make sure before I upgrade.I am looking at the following
> > drives as possible replacements:

http://www.niagaracomputersupplies.com/product_info.php...

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=12099&vpn=ST...

> > Any advise on suitable hard drive upgrades for this Sat Pro 4260
> > would be greatly appreciated.Thanks
>
> I am a big fan of Hitachi drives, particularly the 5400 and 7200 rpm
> drives - they run cool and are quiet. Toshiba has been having failures
> with their higher speed notebook drives (see posts earlier) so you need
> to make sure you have the "new improved" drive. The 7200 rpm drive might
> be overkill but a 5400 rpm drive will make a substantial improvement in
> performance on an older laptop. If your OS does not support NTFS or the
> BIOS has a limit, you will only have to partition the drive to make it
> work. FAT32 has a 32GB limit AIRC. Typically with a removable drive,
> it takes only minutes to install a new drive using the existing drive
> carraige and connector. You can partition with a boot floppy if
> necessary or use the OS install disk. If you have XP installed no
> partitioning will be required.

a b D Laptop
November 18, 2004 2:31:40 PM

J D wrote:
> Thanks for the replies guy's.I have WIN2K pro installed and the drive
> is formatted with FAT32.I just got this from a friend for a good
> price but I would think that the drive could be formatted with NTFS.I
> also noticed that the BIOS hasn't been updated in awhile either so I
> think I will update that to the newest.So from what I gather a 40G
> 5400 rpm drive should work fine in this old laptop.Thanks again guy's.

>> J D wrote:
>>> I have an older Toshiba Satellite Pro 4260 with a 10gig 4200 RPM
>>> hard drive and was wondering if a 40 gig 5400 rpm hard drive would
>>> work in it.If not would a 40 gig 4200 rpm work fine in this older
>>> notebook.I want to make sure before I upgrade.I am looking at the
>>> following drives as possible replacements:
>>>

> http://www.niagaracomputersupplies.com/product_info.php...
>>>

> http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=12099&vpn=ST...
>>>
>>> Any advise on suitable hard drive upgrades for this Sat Pro 4260
>>> would be greatly appreciated.Thanks
>>
>> I am a big fan of Hitachi drives, particularly the 5400 and 7200 rpm
>> drives - they run cool and are quiet. Toshiba has been having
>> failures with their higher speed notebook drives (see posts earlier)
>> so you need to make sure you have the "new improved" drive. The 7200
>> rpm drive might be overkill but a 5400 rpm drive will make a
>> substantial improvement in performance on an older laptop. If your
>> OS does not support NTFS or the BIOS has a limit, you will only have
>> to partition the drive to make it work. FAT32 has a 32GB limit
>> AIRC. Typically with a removable drive, it takes only minutes to
>> install a new drive using the existing drive carraige and connector.
>> You can partition with a boot floppy if necessary or use the OS
>> install disk. If you have XP installed no partitioning will be
>> required.

The recommendation for BIOS updates is never to update unless the newer
revision specifically targets a problem with your laptop. The risk of a
bad BIOS flash has to be balanced with the need for the update.

a b D Laptop
November 18, 2004 3:38:57 PM

Thanks Quaoar.I am having no problems with the laptop itself so I guess I
won't bother with updating the BIOS.I just would like more hard drive space
as the laptop is plenty fast enough for what I need it for.Also on Toshiba's
website you can buy a CMS 60gig HD compatable with the 4200 and 4300 series
notebooks.So I guess a 40 gig should be no problem but would a increase from
4200rpm to 5400rpm and from 2mb cache to 8mb cache cause any problems in
this case.Thanks and you have been very helpful thus far.It is really
appreciated.Thanks.

> J D wrote:
> > Thanks for the replies guy's.I have WIN2K pro installed and the drive
> > is formatted with FAT32.I just got this from a friend for a good
> > price but I would think that the drive could be formatted with NTFS.I
> > also noticed that the BIOS hasn't been updated in awhile either so I
> > think I will update that to the newest.So from what I gather a 40G
> > 5400 rpm drive should work fine in this old laptop.Thanks again guy's.
> >

> > "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message

http://www.niagaracomputersupplies.com/product_info.php...

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=12099&vpn=ST...

> >> I am a big fan of Hitachi drives, particularly the 5400 and 7200 rpm
> >> drives - they run cool and are quiet. Toshiba has been having
> >> failures with their higher speed notebook drives (see posts earlier)
> >> so you need to make sure you have the "new improved" drive. The 7200
> >> rpm drive might be overkill but a 5400 rpm drive will make a
> >> substantial improvement in performance on an older laptop. If your
> >> OS does not support NTFS or the BIOS has a limit, you will only have
> >> to partition the drive to make it work. FAT32 has a 32GB limit
> >> AIRC. Typically with a removable drive, it takes only minutes to
> >> install a new drive using the existing drive carraige and connector.
> >> You can partition with a boot floppy if necessary or use the OS
> >> install disk. If you have XP installed no partitioning will be
> >> required.

> The recommendation for BIOS updates is never to update unless the newer
> revision specifically targets a problem with your laptop. The risk of a
> bad BIOS flash has to be balanced with the need for the update.

a b D Laptop
November 18, 2004 7:27:40 PM

That is an opinion that many of us don't share. In part because "the
risk of a bad BIOS flash", for someone who knows what they are doing, is
near zero. I've done probably over 1,000 motherboard, laptop & CD/DVD
burner flash upgrades and have NEVER had a problem.

> The recommendation for BIOS updates is never to update unless the newer
> revision specifically targets a problem with your laptop. The risk of a
> bad BIOS flash has to be balanced with the need for the update.

a b D Laptop
November 18, 2004 7:27:41 PM

Barry Watzman wrote:
> That is an opinion that many of us don't share. In part because "the
> risk of a bad BIOS flash", for someone who knows what they are doing,
> is near zero. I've done probably over 1,000 motherboard, laptop &
> CD/DVD burner flash upgrades and have NEVER had a problem.
>

>> The recommendation for BIOS updates is never to update unless the
>> newer revision specifically targets a problem with your laptop. The
>> risk of a bad BIOS flash has to be balanced with the need for the
>> update. Q

Your experience is irrelevant to the myriad of general users who post to
these groups, many of whom have little, if any, knowledge or skill in
maintaining their systems. Failed BIOS flashes are not rare, even with
computers from vendors with very good flash utilities like Dell and IBM.