Sign in with
Your question

Thinking of boosting gpu fan to 60% to cool it down

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 19, 2010 6:05:28 AM

My gpu is sitting at 49C idle. I'm not sure if it is high but I see ppl with sub 40 temperature. I have a fan in the back and top pulling air out. A cpu cooler pushing air to the rear fan and the gpu is setup so that there are no other cards below it in the setup. There are no front fans however.

I'm thinking of boosting my gpu fan speed, will this stress the card or just the fan or literally have no effect on the overall health of the gpu?

Should I just get 1 or 2 front fans instead?
June 19, 2010 7:48:18 AM

49C @ idle is pretty good IMO.

What temps are you getting under load?

If you get temps >90C, then go for a fan profile.

Personally, 50% is about the threshold without the rig sounding like an airplane.

Running a fan profile @ this speed shouldn't have any ill effects.

Try a couple of 120mm case fans on the front first. This would be more efficient.
m
l
June 19, 2010 8:34:09 AM

Well this all depends on what cars you have I haven't seen it anywhere but asumming it's an ago the 4xxx series usually idle pretty high the 5xxx are know to idle at lower Temp but it's really preference but move to 60% fan will not affect your card at all dan speed change is nothing to work at over 80% for extended periods may shorten your fans life bit Ypur be fine at 60
m
l
Related resources
June 19, 2010 1:54:03 PM

hunuok said:
49C @ idle is pretty good IMO.

What temps are you getting under load?

If you get temps >90C, then go for a fan profile.

Personally, 50% is about the threshold without the rig sounding like an airplane.

Running a fan profile @ this speed shouldn't have any ill effects.

Try a couple of 120mm case fans on the front first. This would be more efficient.

I got about 63C under load but it was just Quake Live in my browser nothing intense. I don't know how to test for anything intense.
m
l
June 19, 2010 4:33:10 PM

Use a program such as HW Monitor. Run in background.

Try running BF2, Crysis or COD MW2.

Upon exit, it should display max temp.
m
l
!