i am having a problem with my gigabyte p67 ud5

when i turn it one
the mother board shows a yellow light that is explained in the
manual as overvoltage or overloading
but sadly it doesnt sate any way that can fix this problem

i did some research and i found out that replacing the psu might help
that might be wright
because on the top left of the cpu there is a 12v power conenctor
and my psu cable has different socket then the one on the mother board but it fits fine

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello,

Please explain more to the group about your computer system such as CPU, RAM, Video card, PSU, etc. and if your computer has been running OK for a while, or if this is the first time you have booted it up and turned it on?

Need to tell us if you have a speaker on the front I/O connectors for beep codes, if you hear any pre boot beep codes, and if you have seen anything on the monitor.

That way someone will be able to help you figure out this problem.

Your MB shows an 8 pin accessory Power supply socket near the CPU hat should have a matching 8 pin socket from your PSU, or as a second choice, two 4 pin 12 V sockets. Should have only yellow and black wires in it, and should not be labelled PCIe. How is your accessory power plug different?

jimmy1228

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011

I have the same setup nd the same problem here is my system:

i7 2600k
gigabyte p67aud5
2 2g kingston ddr3 1600
700w coolmax psu (CL-700B)
sapphire radeon hd4650 1gb

also it should be noted that the graphics card does not work when the system does not boot this occurs after the system has been on for a while

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi Jimmy, and welcome to Tom's hardware,

Try to be as specific as possible about your boot up problem and the steps that occur before the problem is seen. Not sure if your system won't boot, or that after it is working for a while, it won't reboot when all components are warmed up.

Also, having, or obtaining a small $5 I/O front connector speaker may help to identify where in the boot up process you are having problems.

jimmy1228

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
i have the I/O front connector speaker and after things had warmed up (a couple of nites of being left on) it began not wanting to boot at all, no beeps from the speaker. If i turn off the PSU for a period of time (more than a few seconds) it will boot just fine.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi Jimmy,

When you leave your computer on for a "while", and it won't reboot, or boot, it certainly sounds like a heat problem. Usually if a component overheats, the system will quit working altogether, until you let it cool off.

Your small I/O speaker can be very helpful in determining the cause.
When you boot up satisfactoriy, do you always get a single beep, or do you get any other sequence that could point to a specific component?

When you get no beeps, that means there is a problem with the PSU, Motherboard, or CPU. Obviously there is not a "dead" component or you wouldn't be able to boot at all, as you can.

Usually you get a long and two short beeps if there is a graphics card error, but I have had a bad video card giving no beeps.
A PSU error usually gives continuous short beeps when there is a problem, but you can also get no beeps if you don't even get a PWR Good signal from the MB.

The other thing you could try is a different known good PSU, to see if that corrects your intermittant problem.

jimmy1228

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
yeah i kinda thought it would be the psu i went for the cheapie (coolmax) and cannot afford a new one as of now but when it does not boot i get no beeps, also the overvoltage led is on half of the time when its running but i guess thats the cheapest option when having something fail i guess my best bet is to save up my $$ and get a good namebrand (corsair or thermaltake probably corsair) psu

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi Jimmy,

I would guess it is your PSU. Just to check out the video card, might just remove the video card altogether and see if you still get no beeps, or the long and two short beeps telling you the video card is missing. If you still get no beeps when it is warmed up, then you know it's not the video card. Or you could put a spare or older video card, even PCI, in a slot and see if you get the same results. Just r/o other components -

You do have a quality MB which is great! You're right, if it still points to the PSU, save up your pennies and purchase a quality PSU to go along with it.