Motherboard faulty?

amb7247

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
I rebuilt a guys computer at work and his motherboard is an ECS G31T-M7. He initially built it himself and worked for nearly a week before it quit. After I rebuilt it, the computer will only power on without the ATX 12v 4 pin power connector plugged in. We also tested two other PSU 300w with nothing else plugged in (No floppy, no hard drives or cd/dvd drives). If you have the 4pin pwoer cable plugged in and turn it on the back fan will lights and try to turn then lose power. If unplug the 4pin connector, then unplug the main pwoer connector and plug that back in, it'll run but with no display on the screen. Also tested with two different video cards. One is a PCI-E the other plain PCI.

Is the ATX 12v connector on the motherboard have a short. THe case had built in risers so no need to use any risers I already had. And the undersize of the motherboard has plentry of empty space where the risers woudl be so it can't be touching the case. I also tested with the processor and heatsink off.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Have you tried to run the mobo outside of the case itself (with memory, cpu/heatsink) only? You are describing a shorted system. It could very well be a defective mobo. Also, have you inspected the motherboard for any physical damage?

wydene

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
I had a similar problem with a Asrock 939 64 3000 dual channal Sata2, With what appears to be a possible motherboard fault, when I pressed the power on button, all the fans worked, DVD drive door will open OK, hard drives are running!, but no post (power on self test) no display on monitor, when through all the usual procedures, ie tried another power supply, use only one stick of ram,(interchange with the other) reset CMOS jumper, from pins 1 and 2 to pins 2 and 3. then I took of heat sink of the Processor, placed a finger on it, then turned on power button for a few seconds heated up OK had to switch of before it got to hot! Still no boot!

Then I tried a tip from the Micromart forum , which involved removing the motherboard from the case, and place on a none conductive surface such as the motherboards cardboard box, connect only power supply one sick on ram, the graphics card and monitor, power on, I still didn't get any beeps (post) I then switch off, cleared CMOS, then replaced the Processor, heat sink and fan, then switch on the mains, then the power on button and was rewarded with a single beeb! and boot up text on the screen.

The only problem is I not quite sure what coursed the boot failure in the first place, But having said that, I noticed after checking with the motherboard manual that I had accidentally left the CMOS jumpers in the wrong position, that may have coursed the problem.

wydene

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
I had a similar problem with a Asrock 939 64 3000 dual channal Sata2, With what appears to be a possible motherboard fault, when I pressed the power on button, all the fans worked, DVD drive door will open OK, hard drives are running!, but no post (power on self test) no display on monitor, when through all the usual procedures, ie tried another power supply, use only one stick of ram,(interchange with the other) reset CMOS jumper, from pins 1 and 2 to pins 2 and 3. then I took of heat sink of the Processor, placed a finger on it, then turned on power button for a few seconds heated up OK had to switch of before it got to hot! Still no boot!

Then I tried a tip from the Micromart forum , which involved removing the motherboard from the case, and place on a none conductive surface such as the motherboards cardboard box, connect only power supply one sick on ram, the graphics card and monitor, power on, I still didn't get any beeps (post) I then switch off, cleared CMOS, then replaced the Processor, heat sink and fan, then switch on the mains, then the power on button and was rewarded with a single beeb! and boot up text on the screen.

The only problem is I not quite sure what coursed the boot failure in the first place, But having said that, I noticed after checking with the motherboard manual that I had accidentally left the CMOS jumpers in the wrong position, that may have coursed the problem.