Sign in with
Your question

BSOD and crashes

Last response: in Systems
July 27, 2010 6:55:17 AM

Hello again . .

I'm hoping someone will be able to give me a second opinion on this...

Asus m4a79xtd-evo @ stock..
Phenom II x4 955 @ stock
Corsair DDR3 1333 C9 2GB (2x1GB)
Corsair Tx650w
250gb HDD
Coolermaster RC-690
single 5770 @ stock

Symptoms... started yesterday;

Freeze whilst gaming,
BSOD whilst gaming (dxkernal.dll),
Freeze when launching AMD Overdrive
BSOD whilst running AMD Overdrive built-in stability test (MEMORY_MANAGEMENT) :heink: 
BSOD whilst running prime95 (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA)

Also windows bult-in ram test fails to complete; it doesn't crash but it just sorta hangs, although i can still press 'esc' to end

So far I did the following things to try to narrow down the problem:

Clear CMOS / reset bios defaults
Remove nvida physx drivers
Updated DX..
Reinstalled latest MS C++ redist
Ran MemTest86+ for about 3 hours on standard (i think it was 7 or 8 passes with no errors)
Also did a successful system restore to before the problems started

I suspect the ram or HDD... what do you guys think?

Also i have my ram n stuff set to auto for everything .. could this also be causing problems

i guess the only way to find out is running more memtest86+?

Is it worth seeing if the errors occur with just 1 DIMM installed??

I'm still pretty new to building so thanks for your patience and thanks again for reading.

Edit: I forgot to add that i also reinstalled graphics driver and that didn't help either

Also i should add that the reason i suspect the HDD over RAM is because i KNOW the HDD is on its way out (as Event Manager/S.M.A.R.T/windows checkdisk keeps telling me) i'm just too cheap to replace it right now especially if it isn't the cause of my problem..

More about : bsod crashes

July 27, 2010 7:35:27 AM

Have you tried one stick at a time yet? I recently had endless issues with the Gf's build, memtest passes no probs, until tried one stick at a time, bad stick was damnably obvious and is in the process of being returned, Hope you have similar luck mate :) 
Moto
July 27, 2010 7:50:07 PM

Thanks for your reply

Decided to try removing one stick as per your suggestion and.... AMD OverDrive stability test now works properly without freezing / BSOD

Have yet to run memtest but I'm pretty sure I must have pulled the dodgy DIMM on the first try, as it would BSOD within a few minutes of running AOD stability test with both installed

Hopefully I'll run memtest overnight with just the suspect module installed, just to be sure.

Thanks again :) 
July 27, 2010 8:08:26 PM

Cool, good luck on it man,
I'd lose amd overdrive though tbh, once you unlock cores it goes a bit mental, refuses to start up, temps are laughable *-256 on all cores, I wish lol
Prime 95 should see you ok for stability but I use the 'it works,its stable' approach myself :) 
Moto
!