Sign in with
Your question

GTX 470 vs. HD5850

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 19, 2010 7:39:38 AM

The title pretty much says it all. For the last few months I have been planning on getting the HD5850. From what I have heard, it is cool, quiet, efficient, and has great performance for the price.

I have recently seen various sites show the GTX 470 showing strong performance as well though (some show close to 5870 performance). I also like that the 470 comes with Just Cause 2 right now, but it also costs more.

What do you guys think?

And if you don't mind, could you make a specific recommendation on the model of video card?

Here is what I am looking at getting as of now...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks guys.

More about : gtx 470 hd5850

a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2010 8:51:24 AM

I'm going to say the 470 bit at the same tim e I'm going to say that already lean towards team green and personaly have an eggs 275 and it's been great definite if you do to with the 470 get an evga they have their percision tool which makes it super easy To overclock and the free game is also nice
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2010 8:55:05 AM

What games do you play? Do you have good case cooling?

GTX470 is better in terms of power - it performs better in most games (almost equal to a 5870) and is very overclockable. But it runs a bit hotter and uses more energy than a 5850, and performs about the same as the 5850 in some games such as Crysis. It also costs $50 more.

Flip a coin
Related resources
June 19, 2010 8:56:28 AM

jonnyboyC said:
I'm going to say the 470 bit at the same tim e I'm going to say that already lean towards team green and personaly have an eggs 275 and it's been great definite if you do to with the 470 get an evga they have their percision tool which makes it super easy To overclock and the free game is also nice

Ya I was actually just about to post about the 470. Newegg is currently having a sale on the evga model. It's on sale for $330 and $2 shipping.

Anyone from the red team have anything to say? I really wanna pull the trigger on this soon...
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2010 8:57:40 AM

If you plan to crossfire or SLi, I'd rather get two 5850s so it runs cooler in my case.

If you're just going to get one card, a GTX470 will be great (especially if you can find a cheap one).
June 19, 2010 9:03:45 AM

Bluescreendeath said:
What games do you play? Do you have good case cooling?

GTX470 is better in terms of power - it performs better in most games (almost equal to a 5870) and is very overclockable. But it runs a bit hotter and uses more energy than a 5850, and performs about the same as the 5850 in some games such as Crysis. It also costs $50 more.

Flip a coin

Well I have a laptop right now, and a bunch of games, but my laptop does not play them very well. That's why I'm building a desktop :) 

I will play these games at 1920x1080...

COD4
TF2 along with all of the Orange Box titles
UT3
Crysis
BFBC2
Flight Sim
I would also like to look into the new star wars game coming out, the old republic
I would like to branch out away from just doing fps though

My case of choice should provide ample cooling. Right nows its the Lian Li Lancool K60

My power supply will be a corsair 750tx
June 19, 2010 9:08:01 AM

If I did SLI (unlikely), would my 750tx provide enough juice, or should I go with the 850tx?
June 19, 2010 9:54:26 AM

Higher is always better :) 
June 19, 2010 9:58:11 AM

weehamish said:
Higher is always better :) 

Are you referring to the power supply or video card?
June 19, 2010 9:59:52 AM

touchdowntexas13 said:
If I did SLI (unlikely), would my 750tx provide enough juice, or should I go with the 850tx?

Well, that's a plus about a 5850, a 750 watt supply runs it just fine in crossfire, but with a 470 I'd go with a 850 in SLI, just to be absolutely safe (and if you ever overclock it / them). Personally I think it's a tossup regarding a 5850 or a 470, but from what I've read the 470 is a bit more powerful, but there is absolutely no doubt about the 470 using more power and running hotter. A friend of mine has a pair of 5850's in crossfire, and the idle temps run about 40 and 28 for the 2 cards, and 56 and 48 under load, which is crazy good cooling for 2 cards of such power right next to each other in crossfire. You may say adding a second card is unlikely, but the upgrade bug hits us all.
a c 126 U Graphics card
June 19, 2010 10:02:31 AM

I would recommend the 850 for SLI GTX470's.
June 19, 2010 10:06:53 AM

rmmil978 said:
Well, that's a plus about a 5850, a 750 watt supply runs it just fine in crossfire, but with a 470 I'd go with a 850 in SLI, just to be absolutely safe (and if you ever overclock it / them). Personally I think it's a tossup regarding a 5850 or a 470, but from what I've read the 470 is a bit more powerful, but there is absolutely no doubt about the 470 using more power and running hotter. A friend of mine has a pair of 5850's in crossfire, and the idle temps run about 40 and 28 for the 2 cards, and 56 and 48 under load, which is crazy good cooling for 2 cards of such power right next to each other in crossfire. You may say adding a second card is unlikely, but the upgrade bug hits us all.

Haha well that's why I am trying to be future proof with my PSU. I would rather spend the extra $20 now instead of having to buy a whole new PSU in a year or so.
June 19, 2010 10:12:49 AM

If you use an 850 watt psu I would not suggest overclocking. Tom's just did an sbm build with two 470s and the total system load after overclocking was 858 watts. A good 850 watt PSU can do that but you're losing efficiency running it that hard, not to mention you never know what might happen
June 19, 2010 10:20:06 AM

paigeinfull said:
If you use an 850 watt psu I would not suggest overclocking. Tom's just did an sbm build with two 470s and the total system load after overclocking was 858 watts. A good 850 watt PSU can do that but you're losing efficiency running it that hard, not to mention you never know what might happen

I agree on that. I will overclock with a single, but in SLI I will keep them stock. I wouldn't want that much heat anyways. But like I said i think it's a bit unlikely I will go SLI. i did see that article by the way. I was REALLY surprised to see them use that PSU with two 470's, especially with overclocking. I also won't be overclocking my CPU as high as them, so i don't think I will have to worry about that 850W limit. I'm gonna get an i5-750 and OC to about 3.1 GHz with turbo still enabled.
June 19, 2010 10:23:01 AM

Alright I'm pulling the trigger here on the 470. Not a strong showing for the 5850 this morning, but don't get me wrong, I know it's an awesome card.

For me the deal breaker was really the free game. A new pc calls for a new game, and Just Cause 2 should show off that new video card nicely :) 

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
a c 273 U Graphics card
June 19, 2010 1:10:51 PM

touchdowntexas13 said:
Alright I'm pulling the trigger here on the 470. Not a strong showing for the 5850 this morning, but don't get me wrong, I know it's an awesome card.

For me the deal breaker was really the free game. A new pc calls for a new game, and Just Cause 2 should show off that new video card nicely :) 

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I've been playing that for the last couple of days and it does look good even though I may not have everything maxed, it should play really well on a GTX470.
June 19, 2010 2:08:17 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I've been playing that for the last couple of days and it does look good even though I may not have everything maxed, it should play really well on a GTX470.

That's good to hear. I just bought it a few hours ago. Now I wait just a little bit before I buy the rest of my parts. I still have a few decisions to make though. I'm just glad I was able to get the video card outta the way. That one was really eating my lunch.
June 19, 2010 5:52:45 PM

touchdowntexas13 said:
I agree on that. I will overclock with a single, but in SLI I will keep them stock. I wouldn't want that much heat anyways. But like I said i think it's a bit unlikely I will go SLI. i did see that article by the way. I was REALLY surprised to see them use that PSU with two 470's, especially with overclocking. I also won't be overclocking my CPU as high as them, so i don't think I will have to worry about that 850W limit. I'm gonna get an i5-750 and OC to about 3.1 GHz with turbo still enabled.

Excellent choice with the i5-750. Overclocking one to 3.6 ghz required no tweaking at all for me with idle temps in the low-mid 30's C, and Prime95 max load sitting around 55 C. And at stock speeds the idle temp was 25 C. An absolutely impressive CPU.
June 19, 2010 5:58:11 PM

rmmil978 said:
Excellent choice with the i5-750. Overclocking one to 3.6 ghz required no tweaking at all for me with idle temps in the low-mid 30's C, and Prime95 max load sitting around 55 C. And at stock speeds the idle temp was 25 C. An absolutely impressive CPU.

Thanks! I have been researching this whole thing for like the past 8 months. What's crazy is that it took me only a day to make a decision on a video card. But I think I will be very happy with what I got. To tell you the truth I probably would have been extremely satisfied with either of the video cards.
June 19, 2010 10:44:41 PM

Yeah I was on Hardware Canucks today. I'm not sure if I saw these results, but I have seen results showing the 470 always besting the 5850. However, I have seen results from other sites showing the 5850 beating out the 470. I think we have to take these benchmarks with a grain of salt, but I think I will be happy with my purchase. Can't wait to play Just Cause 2! Thanks for your input btw.
June 19, 2010 11:10:38 PM

Yeah that's what I had been reading. Their review was late because they couldn't get the hardware in or something. So they got to review with the latest drivers.

In any case it makes me feel a bit better about not going with the 5850 lol
!