Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is the new Antec LanBoy Air case a tower or mid case?

Last response: in Components
September 28, 2010 10:45:43 PM

Does anyone know if the new Antec LanBoy Air case is a tower or a mid-case? Do we have any reviews in this web site on this case? Or does anyone have a discussion thread opened to talk about this case? Thanks.

Ciao!
Related resources
a c 248 ) Power supply
September 28, 2010 11:52:55 PM

Interesting design. It's another one of those love or hate it type cases.

The technical review at legitreviews.com indicates a height of 20.4 inches. The Antec web site also indicates a height of 20.4 inches:

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MjQ5OQ==

That's fairly typical for a mid-tower case. What I found interesting was a case length from front to back of only 19.3 inches. For most video cards that is not a problem. I normally recommend a length in excess of 20 inches for extra long video cards. Depending how the drive cage is configured that may not be a problem.

EDIT - I just watched the video clip at You Tube. The gal said a 12 inch video card can fit in the case. I think she also said the case can take a 15 inch card if there is no drive in front of the video card.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 29, 2010 12:12:08 AM

Odd. The links Johnny and I gave are both directly from Antec, yet they have different dimensions...

I couldn't actually find the case on the US or UK sites, so I went to the global site and found it there in the gaming cases.
m
l

Best solution

September 29, 2010 1:55:44 AM

YES IT IS A MID TOWER CASE
September 29, 2010 2:01:24 PM

Thanks. Now after looking at the case I just wonder why the PSU recommendation says or it seems to indicate that the PSU fan in most PSUs should face inward whether it is is installed in the upper or lower part of this case. I find installing the fan facing the inside of the case odd. Does anyone has an opinion or preference? It seems that most ANTEC cases are designed to have the PSU fan facing inward.

Ciao!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 29, 2010 2:46:23 PM

Antec is basically starting a new way of looking at chassis they call it an Modular Air Chassis.

And yes its a mid tower not full.

orestesdd said:
Thanks. Now after looking at the case I just wonder why the PSU recommendation says or it seems to indicate that the PSU fan in most PSUs should face inward whether it is is installed in the upper or lower part of this case. I find installing the fan facing the inside of the case odd. Does anyone has an opinion or preference? It seems that most ANTEC cases are designed to have the PSU fan facing inward.

Ciao!

For this case since its open air design I am guessing they want the fan in the inside of the case to keep air moving on the motherboard and GPU. May I ask where you found it saying to have power supply fan facing towards the inside.
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
September 29, 2010 3:45:19 PM

Modern atx power supply fans are exhaust fans. They pull warm air from the interior of the case and exhaust the air out the rear panel.

There is an exception. Some modern pc cases with bottom mounted power supplies have an opening in the bottom panel directly below the power supply. An individual has the option of installing the power supply so that the psu fan is directly over the opening. The power supply can pull in cool air from the bottom of the case and exhaust it out the rear. This will work if there is sufficient ventilation, air flow, and cooling for other components inside the case.
m
l
September 29, 2010 6:58:10 PM

Best answer selected by orestesdd.
m
l
September 29, 2010 7:10:33 PM

saaiello said:
Antec is basically starting a new way of looking at chassis they call it an Modular Air Chassis.

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af216/saaiello/Toms/Lanboyair_y_LED.jpg?t=1285771530

And yes its a mid tower not full.

For this case since its open air design I am guessing they want the fan in the inside of the case to keep air moving on the motherboard and GPU. May I ask where you found it saying to have power supply fan facing towards the inside.

I believe I read it from the actual case manual. Take a look this manual (see note at the bottom of page 16). I have also seen a few people building mostly Antec cases with the fan facing inward. It seems that some Antec PSUs are also built so that the fan faces the back of the computer exhausting the air coming from the computer. I still prefer to build with the PSU exhaust fan facing down as in the case of CM Storm Sniper case. However, this is really an interesting case which I may willing to consider even if I have to install the PSU fan facing up or down depending whether I place the PSU up or down.
m
l
September 29, 2010 7:17:18 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
Modern atx power supply fans are exhaust fans. They pull warm air from the interior of the case and exhaust the air out the rear panel.

There is an exception. Some modern pc cases with bottom mounted power supplies have an opening in the bottom panel directly below the power supply. An individual has the option of installing the power supply so that the psu fan is directly over the opening. The power supply can pull in cool air from the bottom of the case and exhaust it out the rear. This will work if there is sufficient ventilation, air flow, and cooling for other components inside the case.

I just wonder if there is an advantage of installing one way over the other. Thanks for your comment.
m
l
September 29, 2010 10:17:36 PM

Cool looking....but this thing will require a palette of Dust-Off.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 30, 2010 12:12:06 AM

HavoCnMe said:
Cool looking....but this thing will require a palette of Dust-Off.

Looks like Antec has thought of dust better then most have thought with this case. The 7 fans it comes with when all in use will apparently blow the dust out of your system since there will be so much postive airflow dust wont have a chance to set on anything. Now granted there will always be dust buildup in any case so its to be somewhat expect , but I dont think it will be as bad as eveyone thinks.

I will let everyone on the forum know how it does since mine will be here tomorrow.
m
l
September 30, 2010 5:23:15 PM

saaiello said:
Looks like Antec has thought of dust better then most have thought with this case. The 7 fans it comes with when all in use will apparently blow the dust out of your system since there will be so much postive airflow dust wont have a chance to set on anything. Now granted there will always be dust buildup in any case so its to be somewhat expect , but I dont think it will be as bad as eveyone thinks.

I will let everyone on the forum know how it does since mine will be here tomorrow.

Please, post here if you are building a system with this case. Thanks.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 1, 2010 1:03:59 AM

orestesdd said:
Please, post here if you are building a system with this case. Thanks.

Hi I will be putting this system together this weekend I plan to post pictures of the case in full detail. I just got the case today and all I have to say is WOW Antec really has done something different and its really cool.

Look for the thread in the Antec section tomorrow.
m
l
!