Sign in with
Your question

I need help finding a 12mm fan thats decent

Last response: in Systems
July 27, 2010 8:16:29 AM

Hello, I have a thermtake supranors case and I have a Megahalems heatsink that almost touches the side window of my case, right where I put a much needed 80-120mm fan however I am unable to find any fan other then this one right here

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It is thin 120 x 120 x 12 mm however this thing sucks, It barely moves any air, it doesnt run at 1200rpms it stays around 900-1000 rpms, of course its silent because it barely moves. No air flow at all.

Does anyone know of any fans that are 12mm thick that move a good amount of air without making too much noise?

Thanks
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
July 27, 2010 9:19:18 AM

That would be the best one.

Just mount a standard fan on the outside of the case. You can put a mesh screen over it. These guys have lots to choose from:
http://www.mnpctech.com/casemodstore.html
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
July 27, 2010 2:08:11 PM

What is the interference situation ?

I solved the interference issue on my son's Antec 1200 case as follows:

First a little explanation and I apologize for the analogy but it's the easiest way for me to explain it :) 

Imagine for a minute your making a sandwich, and have a square piece of bread and a round piece of salami. Look at any one corner and you will have a triangular piece of bread showing where the salami doesn't cover it. That's basically the interference problem I ran into. The round fan shroud (120mm x 25mm) was "sandwiched" between two square mounting plated all molded into one piece of plastic. The fan, once installed, was rotated 45 degrees so that the corners were at the top and bottom rather then the flat sides. Only thetop corner was interfering ....like the small corner bread piece you'd see where the salami wasn't :) 

Using a dremel tool, I shaved off a corner of the fan mount, only on one side of the "sandwich", and this was enough to easily clear the Megahalems.

If that doesn't work for you, I'd suggest closing off that hole and re-mountiung one somewhere else. Alternately, can try and find an exterior mounted fan shrout such as the one used on the Antec P193

This is the closest I could find to an aftermarket source (top image)
http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l1/g47/Fan_Accessories.htm...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 27, 2010 2:24:58 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
What is the interference situation ?

I solved the interference issue on my son's Antec 1200 case as follows:

First a little explanation and I apologize for the analogy but it's the easiest way for me to explain it :) 

Imagine for a minute your making a sandwich, and have a square piece of bread and a round piece of salami. Look at any one corner and you will have a triangular piece of bread showing where the salami doesn't cover it. That's basically the interference problem I ran into. The round fan shroud (120mm x 25mm) was "sandwiched" between two square mounting plated all molded into one piece of plastic. The fan, once installed, was rotated 45 degrees so that the corners were at the top and bottom rather then the flat sides. Only thetop corner was interfering ....like the small corner bread piece you'd see where the salami wasn't :) 

Using a dremel tool, I shaved off a corner of the fan mount, only on one side of the "sandwich", and this was enough to easily clear the Megahalems.

Sounds like you had to do this?

@ OP, the only thing better will be a faster Kaze Slim. I do not see many low profile 120mm fans kicking around.
m
l
July 28, 2010 3:43:08 AM

Thanks for the feedback everyone

That thermaltake case you linked isn't the same one I have, there are a few different kinds of thermaltake supranors cases. Mine has 2 fan slots on the side window, one across the gpu one across the cpu at the same height as the rear exhaust fan.

This is the same case with the same side window

I wish I would have known what I was going to put inside that case otherwise I would have invested in a full tower but I don't want to have to buy a new one and this one sit here doing nothing lol.

If I do put a fan on the outside of my case I need to make it look good, mabey a chrome grill or somethen on it.
m
l
July 28, 2010 4:43:02 AM

Ok so I go to install my scythe kaze fan (just to test because its so loud) on the outside of my side window and I realized there's no way to get the cable through to hook it up to my motherboard or fan controller...

damn
m
l
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
July 28, 2010 6:31:22 AM

The wire is on the outlet side right? just take it loose from the channel it's tucked into, and thread it through the slots. If the connector is too wide, cut the wires and then re-attach.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 28, 2010 11:39:02 AM

Proximon said:
The wire is on the outlet side right? just take it loose from the channel it's tucked into, and thread it through the slots. If the connector is too wide, cut the wires and then re-attach.

Agreed, but there's no need to cut the wires, just remove the pins from the connector and then put them back in when the wire is run thru the slot.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 28, 2010 12:18:30 PM

Looking at a 120mm I have,
The wires are already on the 'inside' if you mount it as an intake, shouldn't need to cut anything wire-wise afaics
Moto
m
l
July 29, 2010 2:05:50 AM

If you have my fan on the out side of my window its impossible to pass it through because there is no space to bring it through, also I don't want to mess up any of my fans. I have tried taking the cables out of the plastic thing and I can't get them back in to stay
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 29, 2010 6:16:50 AM

Erm, if you mount the fan on the outside of the window, you cut a hole in the window for the air moved by the fan to pass into the case yes?
same size roughly as the middle round bit of the fan
the back of the motor where the wires come from is the side that goes against the pc window so your wires are smack in the middle of the hole,
easy as Parrot to guide them to a molex from there I'd say
I'll post a picture if you need me to later, I'll just need to cut a window up and find a spare fan :p 
Moto
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 29, 2010 6:40:43 AM

Ok, done,
Masterclass on how to install a fan outside the case,(retaining intake airflow)
Fan in original placement on window, inside,intake

remove fan,including any mesh and grills you may have

Feed wire through hole from outside to to inside of case, note 'rear' of fan is facing the hole

Screw fan to window (From inside the window) using original screws, careful not to crack acrylic :) 

attach any mesh/grills on face of fan outside of window, new screws required

Enjoy intake fan on outside of window and clearance inside for your Megahalems :) 

*Edit, sorry man, just seen your window and I understand how you mean now, my bad, you should be able to get the molex through one of those gaps by gently bending a big enough gap in the middle of it (most flexible part) if not then its pins out the molex, feed through then re-insert in plug, remember which wire goes where though mate :) 
Moto
m
l
July 31, 2010 10:19:06 AM

Thanks for the feedback and those pics, I really want to learn how to do that stuff professionally as in not sloppy and near perfect.. It seems risky but there are a few mods I want to do to my case, like add a 120mm fan on the top so my case temps go down I would need a hole saw circle saw or whatever its called in order to do that or are there any other ways you know of to cut a whole big enough for a 120MM fan on the top of my case? Do you know of anywhere that I can order a new side window for my case? I don't like it because it has text on it and the 2 fan slots make it look ugly I think, is there anywhere I can get a side window that will fit that is just a side panel window with no slots for fans?

Thanks for feedback
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 31, 2010 11:17:29 AM

Just put a 12mm 1600 or 2000 rpm fan.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 31, 2010 4:19:47 PM

You could take a look through the build links in my sig for some ideas on fan mods,
for a 120mm in the roof, Id say consider making lots of 3mm holes instead of cutting one huge hole out,
remove the roof if you can,
mark the four retaining holes for screws at the corners(on inside of the panel)
mark the circle of the fan inside that,
get a small drill bit and go nuts inside the circle, more holes the better :p 
I would say a holesaw is a handy thing to have, I dont have one yet :p 
but window-wise, how about getting a 50x50 sheet of acrylic and cutting your own fan-holes as you want them?
Patience is the key, my mods arent pro by any stretch, I just take my time cause I want to do as good job as I can, Happy to help with any questions you have man,
Moto
m
l
August 7, 2010 3:23:53 AM

anyone know where I can get some new fan clips for my new 38mm scythe kaze 3k rpm fan?
m
l
!