Seagate Goflex 1.5tb "cannot start (code 10)

joshw

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
Hello,
I've got a brand new goflex 1.5tb drive. Connected to the lenovo thinkpad T410i running Win7 ultimate 32bit.

It is recognised in device manager, however is showing the error "Device cannot start (code 10)".

Is this a driver issue or something else. I've already tried to update drivers and it is showing all drivers up to date.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Josh

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi Josh,

First thing, go to Disk Management, and in the lower graphical area, see if this drive needs to be Initialized. Also make sure it recognized correctly in the Drive column as Drive n, Basic, 1500GB, Online, and in the Volume Info column as VolumeName, DriveLetter, Size, Healthy.

Then go to the Device Manager. Select the new Drive, double click on it, and on the Driver tab, is it listing Microsoft for the driver, or if not, what? Go back to the New Drive, right click on it and uninstall it. Then in the Actions tab, click on Scan for Hardware Changes. May need to reboot.

See if that will load the correct driver.

joshw

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012

Sorry, should have gone into more depth on what I've tried and found.

The drive is not recognised in disk management, I've already uninstalled, updated drivers (ended up with the same generic windows driver) and rebooted, with no differing results. I've also tried all of the USB ports and swapped cables with another of my drives.

Cheers

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
For completeness, check in the BIOS to make sure it is being recognized as a hard drive there.

Are you up to date in Windows updates, Win-7 SP-1?

Have you tried a regular USB 2.0 cable with it, rather than USB 3?

And do you have another external USB device you could connect to see that it is recognized properly in Disk Management by the OS?

joshw

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
Cannot see the drive in BIOS.

Fully up to date win 7 SP-1.

Have tried a regular 2.0 cable and several 3.0 cables and on multiple laptops and desktops.

I have a WD 2.0 drive on a 2.0 cable, fully recognised and usable.

Starting to worry the drive is faulty out of the box.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
To be absolutely sure this drive is not recognized by the MB BIOS, connect it, and the other WD USB 2 ext drive, and reboot to the StartUp screen.

If you see your Drive 0 internal drive listed, and the WD USB 2.0 ext drive, but not this new GoFlex external one, then you can bec onfident in your troubleshooting, and RMA it for a new replacement.

The only bothersome thing is that you mentioned earlier that it was recognized in Device Manager with a Code 10 error. If it's not seen in the BIOS, it can't be seen in Device Manager, so just double your observations.