Sign in with
Your question

Sapphire HD5850 underpowered?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 19, 2010 8:56:35 AM

Hi all,

I bought my graphics card and upgraded my PSU 3 weeks ago and things were running smooth until now... At the start of boot the GPU fan goes to 100% and don't seem to get identified by the motherboard. It don't appear in the windows device manager either. (I am able to boot into GUI mode cause I have a low power 2ndary GPU that seems to work perfectly)

Symptoms summary:
1) Motherboard selects 2ndary GPU (plugged in the 2nd PCI-E slot) as primary GPU during boot
2) Windows device manager does not recognize the GPU
3) PSU fan jumps to 100% at power on

Relevant components:
MB: Asus P5Q Pro
GPU: Sapphire HD5850
PSU: OCZ ModXStream-Pro 600W

I am thinking that perhaps its due to a dud PSU (since everyone thinks OCZ lacks consistency)

Any thoughts?
June 19, 2010 12:40:03 PM

Can be card, can be PSU. If you can test the card in another system you will find out.
m
l
June 19, 2010 2:54:37 PM

Re-seat the video card.

That means pull it out of the PCI-e slot, then push it back it.

Sounds a bit odd, but this has resolved issues I've had in the past with some PCI cards.
m
l
Related resources
June 19, 2010 4:14:09 PM

Already tried re-seating it, blew the dust, Didn't do anything. If it helps, the machine was left off for a few days, after which when I tried to turn it on again today, failed miserably.

Can't try it in another system, this is the only PSU that i have which is over 500W, the next one down is 460W and its 1yr old so seems like a stretch to even try it there..

Not sure if this helps, but the machine is connected to another one VIA a KVM that sources power from the connected computers' USB ports, and I did leave one on while had the other switched off at the wall for quite a few days, though the two machines shared ground and thus shouldn't cause any problems (or at least that's whats intuitive from an electrical point of view)

any other thoughts?
m
l
June 19, 2010 4:34:29 PM

I would try the 460watt anyway just to see if it starts up it is enough to power the card in 2D mode although it would struggle with it at load.
m
l
June 20, 2010 1:37:40 AM

Tried it with the 460W PSU, pulled out every other piece of hardware (tried to boot into express gate), same problem. The ACPI interrupts still seems to be working (responds to power off) which I guess could only mean the card kicked the bucket?
m
l
June 20, 2010 1:39:19 AM

I'm guessing the card, in 2D mode the 5000 series uses very little power, you should still have the warranty, I would RMA the card.
m
l
June 20, 2010 1:56:57 AM

Hey all,

I tried some alternative configurations with the power. Changed the PCIE slots around so that one of the PCIE slots were hooked up to the PSU while the other used a converter from one of the IDE hdd plugs.

First attempt, same problem
2nd attempt, changed the PCIE plug on the power supply and it worked!

Does this mean that the other PCIE modular plug is not supplying anything at all then? Or at least very little power.. which means the PSU is busted? Cause the graphics card won't just magically repair itself right?

EDIT:
Mmm the problem isn't fixed after all. Depending on load I experience heavy graphics corruption to the stage where everything crashes... again back to the same dumb problem.. sigh
m
l
June 21, 2010 11:36:48 PM

Dude make sure the 12v plug next to your cpu is seated right if not it going to do that because mine did the same thing then I plugged it in again and it works fine now
m
l
June 22, 2010 1:53:14 AM

WXY said:
Hey all,

I tried some alternative configurations with the power. Changed the PCIE slots around so that one of the PCIE slots were hooked up to the PSU while the other used a converter from one of the IDE hdd plugs.

First attempt, same problem
2nd attempt, changed the PCIE plug on the power supply and it worked!

Does this mean that the other PCIE modular plug is not supplying anything at all then? Or at least very little power.. which means the PSU is busted? Cause the graphics card won't just magically repair itself right?

EDIT:
Mmm the problem isn't fixed after all. Depending on load I experience heavy graphics corruption to the stage where everything crashes... again back to the same dumb problem.. sigh

To PSU's same problem points to the card! RMA is in order.
m
l
!