Where on mobo to plug-in front panel eSata connector?

WWBD

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
Hello all, I'm struggling through my very first build here. At the connectors/headers stage of plugging the mobo into the case. I have an ASRock P67 extreme 4 and a Fractal R3 case. The Fractal has an eSATA port on the front. I can't seem to find where to plug the connector into the mobo. Is there no esata header on the Asrock extreme 4?

Second question. I was unclear on how to orient the power switch connector and the reset connector into the system panel header. The Power LED connector was easy because it had a clearly identified + and - on both the connector itself and the mobo diagram. However, the mobo diagram shows a PWRBTN# pin and a GND pin. And a RESET# pin and a GND pin. No + and -. And the Fractal connectors aren't labeled. The wires are red and white for the power button and black and white for the reset button. I guessed that GND was the white wire. Does that seem right?

Solution
With the eSATA connector is it not just a SATA connection that connects into one of the SATA connectors?

For the power and reset on the case cable is there a small arrow towards the tip of the connector? On my previous builds there has been and that side goes to the PWRBTN pin on your board, as seen in the manual, and the other to one of the grounds. and the same for the reset switch, except the pin is marked RESET. If there is no arrow on my case the ground cables are also white.

haroker

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
With the eSATA connector is it not just a SATA connection that connects into one of the SATA connectors?

For the power and reset on the case cable is there a small arrow towards the tip of the connector? On my previous builds there has been and that side goes to the PWRBTN pin on your board, as seen in the manual, and the other to one of the grounds. and the same for the reset switch, except the pin is marked RESET. If there is no arrow on my case the ground cables are also white.

Solution

WWBD

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
Yes, I found the little arrows! Thank you! As for the esata - yes, it does look like it will fit into the regular sata ports on the mobo. I have both Sata II and Sata III. I assume plug it into sata II ?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The best controller will be the one with "hot plug" support. It's a BIOS setting. Try both and see which one allows the drive connected to it to use the "safely remove hardware" button.