What z68 Board? im freaking out now lol

tecmo34

Administrator
I agree with fazers_on_stun the article shows the ASUS is the winner (though ASRock is very very close). If you do a Google search on Z68 reviews, you'll find most are picking the ASUS as the winner.

I would go with the ASUS board.

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

Aw Jeeeze, I barely get used to the P67, then the Z68 and now I gotta start worrying that the X79 is what I really want and need. I can't win. When does it ever end and I actually get to do some computing rather than buying and building?

It's hell being old.

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

Oooooo, that Gigabyte Z68 UD 4 board is pretty mean and gnarly looking board (does anyone say "gnarly" anymore?) All that dark gray and black looking stuff (very Darth Vader, etc.) and big a$$ looking heat sinks looks pretty impressive if looks actually count for anything in the real computing world.

On the other hand those pretty blue swirly heat sink thingies look pretty good and sculptural if such things mean something to you. And with all that blue stuff and you get some G Skill RipJaws/Saws in the pretty blue colors you'll be all color cordinated and maybe you'll get your mobo into Architectural Digest or something.

I think it's a real tough choice between the ASUS, Giga and the ASRock boards. They'll probably all work and get you on the net, Facebook and YouTube, etc. How much money ya got?

DoomsWord89

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
As for the Gigabyte board, I would hold off for a bit until it becomes a bit more clear as to if the Z68 boards suffer from the same laundry list of issues/errors that the p67 versions do.

I run a p67a UD7 B3 and its a complete PITA in its current state.......Looks nice though....

technoidgit

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
"No one likes the MSI Z68A-gd80?"

I do I like it's features, check out the review on Hardware Secrets. I should be ordering today. What isn't spendy these days. I'm also hoping the Z68 works out the issues from the P67. I have almost everything except mobo and gpu.

Here is the link for HS review
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/MSI-Z68A-GD80-B3-Motherboard/1279

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I'm almost thinking that I could get by with a 1155 P67 for what I do, "ordinary computing", mostly financial trading with 4 monitors just as well instead of a Z68 model since I'm not a gamer. On the other hand, the Z68 stuff is only about $50 more than the P67. What has a better long term prospects or functionality? I would like to move up to an SSD for a boot drive and some apps. Whadda ya think?

DoomsWord89

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011

Also, from what I have read in several reviews apparently the Gigabyte boards lack alot of the nicer Z68 features (LUCID Virtu and Quick Sync).
If you plan to go Gigabyte, then stick with p67 otherwise you will be paying for features that you dont even get.

technoidgit

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
I ended up ordering the MSI Z68a-gd80. According to UPS I should have it Wed. After reading through several reviews of it I felt it was better than both the ASRock and ASUS. Some folks say it is to pricey at $239 but it's really only about $20 more than the ASUS. If you want to overclock and are not really good at it MSI has by far the best system for it. It has all the options I wanted and then some and is built with great components. I know the ASUS Z68 still has the sleep/hibernation issues that the P67 has. For some this is not an issue but for me it is, I like to leave machine running and not have to shut down if being away from it for a while. Now maybe I will also have that same issue with the MSI but I have have not heard of it being so. If you have not read about the MSI Z68a-gd80 then google it and read some of the reviews

chesteracorgi

Distinguished

Have you seen the UEFI with ASRock? They make step OC'ing foolproof -- you give the UEFI the OC and the BIOS adjusts the settings. Now, the OC under their UEFI limits an i5 2500K to 4.8 GHz, but they also allow you to play with settings outside the UEFI. I don't know the MSI OC'ing, but I can't imagine that it is any easier. Anyway, MSI is good product and I wish you good luck with it. ;)

technoidgit

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011

Read the Guru3d, Overclockers, Hardware Secrects Review along with just about every other one on the GD 80. Not saying the ASRock or Asus is bad as they are both great boards but the GD80-I and many others feel is better. One click and your Oc'ed to 4.2(That's 500MHz more than you get with Turbo Boost), auto-overclocking, dual-BIOS, dual Gigabit NICs, voltage control points. Military Class II components including DrMos, Dynamic Switching Super Ferrite Chokes, Hi-C caps with Tantulum cores and Active phase switching, overclocking options allowing you to increase the CPU base clock using 0.01 MHz (10 kHz) steps, which is unbelievable. About the only one as good in Ocing is the ASRock but it is to bad that it limits you to 4.8 as some SB CPUs are able to run to 5.2 but for the majority the wall is 4.966 for stable OCing. With the dual bios on the MSI if you mess something up just flip a switch and your back to a stable setup.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
Same with ASRock. Thanks for the feedback. I am gald to know that MSI provides the same sort of OC'ing assistance.

ASRock doesn't limit the OCing to 4.8, but that is what their automatice OC settings are limited to. You can manually futz around and take it higher, but that sort of ultimate fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants OCing is beyond most users. And to be truthful, I haven't the time or ambition to ultimate OC and risk frying my rig.

The ASRock also provides for BIOS reset. It has an external push switch to reset your BIOS (which is really nice because you don't have to open the case and play with jumpers on the mobo).

developeraslam

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011

you are right this dual bios feature is great even i am impressed with this, but if you are paying attention to this only at the time of buying new motherboard, you might be in big trouble as :-

the Gigabyte only has 7 VRMs vs. 12 for Asrock and 16 for the Asus.

so if you will be overclocking your sandy bridge, you might end up with burning system because of gigabyte only 7 phase VRM, so in that case ASUS 16 phase is winner.

for overclocking you should go for ASUS. :sol:

developeraslam

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011