New build - very loud

xaero1ne

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Hey all, so last night i put together my new system and i can't get over how loud it is, even at idle.
the System is a AMD x6 1055t
Tuniq Tower Extreme 120
Ati Radeon 5970
Corsair 850TX PSU
and i have 2 gelid 120mm PWM case fans (front and back)
Cooler Master Elite 330 case

the noise on this system is noticeble as soon as you enter the room (its in my living room) the wiring in the case is half decently tucked away and
zip tied together.
i havent even brought this thing to any sort of load yet and am very dissapointed with all the noise,

any idea's on how i can quite this monster down a bit.

Solution
Oh as for the GPU fanspeed, open Catalyst Control Center, and click on Overdrive. That will show you the current fan speed on the right side:

Reference picture:
cputempsidle.png

The top left drop down allows you to choose Overdrive. I also included a pic of Speedfan as well.

dbq12

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
i have the same cpu, and i kno that my cpu fan is very loud, I would recommend getting an aftermarket cpu fan, however, i can not recommend one to as i am not that well versed in aftermarket hsf.

cmcghee358

Distinguished
In the case of Stock HSF from AMD, if you gently press into the middle of the fan it might reseat.

But I know my stock HSF can get up to 7000 RPM on my HTPC if the airflow is poor, and it's really freaking loud.

So either increase airflow, or d/l speedfan to check your actual fan speed and manually adjust it to a lower RPM.

Or yeah, get an aftermarket HSF. Bigger fans move more air, therefore they turn slower, decreasing dBA

xaero1ne

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
i understand that the gpu will be louder than my old 5770, (that thing was silent)
and i'm not using stock cpu cooler, i'm using the tuniq tower 120 extreme, with has a 120mm silent fan inside the cooling tower blcok.
looking at my bios i can see that no fan is going faster then 1500rpm, and i'm presuming that air flow in the case is good with a 120mm fan pulling cold air in and another 120mm fan blowing warm air out

xaero1ne

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
i suspect that the noise is coming the 5970, i guess its possible that's its
fan may be at 100%

can any one recommend a good app for monitoring fan speeds and temperatures?

cmcghee358

Distinguished
Oh as for the GPU fanspeed, open Catalyst Control Center, and click on Overdrive. That will show you the current fan speed on the right side:

Reference picture:
cputempsidle.png

The top left drop down allows you to choose Overdrive. I also included a pic of Speedfan as well.

Solution