How much is my PC worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmzwirner

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
I really didnt know where to post this, as i couldnt find an appropriate section. But i figured this are would have the most knowledgable people in here.

So.. Im going to be selling my computer real soon, and i need to know how much this thing is worth. I really dont want to get boned by selling it without knowing its fair market value. So im asking, what is the max you would pay for this computer? I CANNOT part out the computer due to be ripping everything apart when i watercooled it.

So here it goes..

CPU:Q6600 @2.4GHZ
MOBO: ASUS Rampage Formula
GPU: Diamond ATi 4870x2 2GB
RAM: 4GB Mushkin Extreme 1066mhz RAM
PSU: PC Power and Cooling 860watt
Drive: ASUS 24x DVD/CD read/writer
Case: Antec Twelvehundred

Watercooling: (Order: Start to end of loop)
Pump: MCP655 Vario
Block: Danger Den Full Copper 4870x2 Block
RAD 1: Swiftech QP 220 RAD w/ Push Config
Block: Swiftech Apogee GTZ LGA775 Block
RAD 2: Swiftech QP 320 RAD w/ Push Config

I also have an ASUS 24" Monitor that i got not even 3 months ago. :(

Im really sad to even think of selling this thing. I have put so much time and effort into making this thing my own, that it just pains me to think of parting with it. But of well. Let me know what you guys think..

Pics:

DSC_0647-1.jpg

DSC_0642-1.jpg

DSC_0670-1.jpg

It has been running for a year with no leaks. Distilled water/antifreese/biocide combinations have always been used. Water has been flushed every 6 months..

cmzwirner

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
Im trying to sell it to get a new laptop. Im totally out of gaming now, and will be going to college next year. A huge desktop gaming monster (well it was one back in the day :p ) isnt really the most portable thing around.

Im looking to get a macbook pro, or even a semi-powerful gaming laptop that is good on battery life.

And these numbers really are depressing. I was really hoping to get about $1300-$1500 for it, considering i put so much into it. But all of the components pre-watercooling were bought with insurance claim money when lightning struck the house. So in a sense, im making money. :bounce:

But would you guys suggest that i part it out? Would i see more money this way? I can easily re-apply the stock heatsink to the x2. I have the stock heatsink for the q6600. And everything else can be parted out..

It sucks to say this, but: Computers, especially custom built rigs like yours, will never reap a price even close to what you paid for it.

Custom built rigs are a special niche, and builders would rather do it themselves, rather than modify a current rig.

And being a generation older (CPU mostly), builder can get more for less, and get warranties/guarantees on the newer parts.

I speak from experience. I actually tried to part out a rig, selling it on eBay. It cost me more to list it on eBay, than the funds generated from the sales of the parts I did sell. I took a loss of several "little" parts, and only made money on hard drives. Craigslist was the best and fastest for bigger items, CPU, RAM, mobo, LCD Monitor, and it's free. I even delivered.

I never did sell my complete rig, an AMD Athlon 1.3GHz w/1.5GB RAM, and 2-30GB HDD :lol:, 15" CRT monitor, and all "stuff" included. I donated it to a Yard Sale, with the proceeds going to the Susan J. Koman foundation, and it still didn't sell, even when I told them to get anything for it that they could (i.e. $20.00)!

So good luck selling it! Ask 50-60% of it's original value, not including your time into it, and you might get a bite.

cmzwirner

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
If i can sell this for $1300 on craigs, then ill be very happy. It was $2600 new. Blah.

If not, i guess i can lug this thing to my dorm, and use my netbook when i need something portable!

Or maybe college grants could buy me a macbook pro..

Wish me luck! And thanks for the help! :D

And yeah. Ebay fees are a nightmare. You forget about them until you see $100 automatically deducted from your earnings. :p

If you can sell it for $1300, great. The CPU is the part that wont fetch the most but the GPU is pretty decent.

And from my work, I would go for a Toshiba or Asus lapptop. They tend to have the least hardware failures, even less than Mac.

Plus the cost of a Mac itself is bad but I did have a customer whos friend cracked the screen on $1100 Macbook and Apple fixed it for $700. Make ya kinda go huh.

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
Due to it being watercooled you'd be lucky to get 40-50%, most people are put off the fact of water on electrical equipment, and just want standard practice.

As soon as you buy a component, you lose 50-70% of it value, ive just built my rig, cost me a far bomb, £1322 - Not includign time spent on it, not including the OS, or monitor.

If i went to sell it, i'd get about 600-700 for it, i maybe lucky and get 1000 UK pounds, but very unlikely.

ares1214

Splendid

No. People who want watercooling will be attracted by it, and they will want it more. IE pay more. People who dont just wont buy it :lol:

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007

Think about it, not very many people want water cooling, for a fact there is only 1 person i know who ever did, now hes gone back to standard air cooling. Water cooling is a very bad idea, when it works, its brilliant, if it goes wrong, everything goes with it. With air, if it stops working very unlikly you will take anything apart from the faield component (eg - CPU Cooler)

The fact is, to an average person, water cooling is far beyond the call of duty and is bad. Simple as, no matter how you put it, not very many people would opt for water cooling over air, and i know alot of people who "wouldnt" pay more water over air.

Im one of these people, Air is good on electrics, its gentle in everyway. Water is the devil.. :)

ares1214

Splendid

Ok? Like i said, people who want air wont buy it, people who want water will buy it at higher cost. And you very much so underestimate water cooling...

cmzwirner

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
Just a quick update for you guys. I sold this a few months ago for $1500. This is a lesson for you guys trying to sell your PC's: Never lowball yourself when selling a PC, There is still hope that some idiot will pay a fortune for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.