Sapphire pure crossfirex 790gx BIOS update

dragonshardz

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
Hello and greetings everyone.

I am having some terrible problems with my PC. The current specs are as follows:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
Sapphire Pure CrossfireX 790GX motherboard
4 GB DDR3 Kingston RAM
500 GB HDD Hitachi
AMD Radeon 5770

I've been experiencing constant BSOD these last few months (have the PC for more than a year now, the problems started some months ago). They happen only when gaming.

The steps taken so far:
1. Deep cleaned everything (worked fine for a week, then again is started crashing)
2. Changed the ram (ran a Mem test that proved it was faulty) - was OK for couple of days, then started crashing again.
3. Changed the fan of the processor (worked flawlessly for a month, then without warning started happening again)

The error occurs as follows: I ran a game (any game, from oldest to newest) for not more than 5 minutes and the screen either freezes and the sound goes berserk and I have to reset the PC or it just dies and rests itself. Now sometimes, after a reset the mobo just won't start. The screen just stays dark and the computer is stuck in limbo. Several resets later it goes back on.

I've ran Furmark for the graphics card (it runs fine - temperature, stability... it is all fine) and OCCT for the processor... they're both fine.

I am really running out of options here. The last thing I read was about updating my bios hence the problem - the stupid sapphire website doesn't have bios update that would run on a Win7 64 bit. The hell? Tried installing any version on the driver tab - non works.

Oh, one more thing - the BSOD is random. Sometimes it is caused by processes connected with the graphics card, sometimes it is the VISTA FAULT, sometimes it is the DirectX... it is usually a different cause each time.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most semi-modern motherboards have a built-in GUI for updatin BIOS. The second option is a DOS boot disk. You can even make those out of flash drives. The very last and most hazardous method for updating BIOS is a WinFlash type application. The risk is great enough that I don't blame Sapphire for not supporting it.

Probably not a BIOS issue however. Could be the power supply, or a power circuit on the motherboard.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

+1. I agree that this is a likely power issue and likely the power supply. Do you have another that could be swapped for troubleshooting purposes?

dragonshardz

Distinguished
May 17, 2011

Not really. Seeing how I still have the warranty, my best course of action would be to take it to the service... for the 4th time. This is the main reason why I was trying to find some help here. You'd think after all that time they've spent checking the PC, they would have figured out the problem by now... and It's not like I don't need the computer. If I leave it there it will take another three days or more to be "repaired." Thanks for the feedback though :)