Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Hand me down parts, what should I do with them?

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
July 27, 2010 2:00:25 PM

So I think I've made a posting regarding this before, but I don't recall the answers I received, so I will ask again. About 2 months ago I inherited some parts from my little buddy's build. He was having some headaches with it so we swapped parts and now he seems OK. Anyhow I snagged a Q9650, a Asus P5Q Deluxe and 4 GB of Corsair XMS2 (with the dual heat exchanger fin). I know the death knell has rung for the 775 platform and we've all moved on to the 1156 and 1366 platforms and this CPU isn't a "top tier" performer any more. It gets owned by the i7 lineup and if I remember right AMD had the PII 965 squarely aimed at this puppy.

Now I have had some experience with Intel C2Q's in the past. I had a Q8200 but that CPU wasn't very good for over clocking. Anyhow, I have some Patriot memory laying around (8 GB, 4x2 GB) 1066Mhz Viper II and a couple of 4770's and a spare case (a older Raidmax Smilodon, I swapped the PSU to a 500W Thermaltake PurePower) And I have a couple of hard drives. A Sata I 74GB Raptor 10K RPM and a Hitatchi Desk Star 500 GB drive.

I was thinking about installing Windows 7 Pro 64 and using it as a entry/mid level gaming machine. But the rub is that I already have a i5 750 with 4 GB of DDR3, a 4890, and three WD drives (1TB Black, 1TB Green, 320GB Blue Laptop drive) and a Leo platform (1055T, 890GX board, 5850 Black Edition, etc.) so I don't know if I should use this C2Q as a video editing machine (I do some HD youtube stuff, or at least I had in the past) or a Linux box (but 8 GB seems like overkill for Linux).

I had the CPU being cooled with a Corsair H50 but I honestly had second thoughts since the Smilodon case has piss poor exhaust setup, so I am running it with the stock cooler (I know, it sucks, but I am considering buying a CM TX-3 since the CPU itself is only 95W) and it gets a little warm. I had the CPU for sale for a cheap price on Craigslist but no biters. l

Anyhow, aside from selling it off, what would you do with the machine and the parts I've listed that are available?
:o 

More about : hand parts

a c 84 B Homebuilt system
July 27, 2010 2:56:43 PM

You could turn it into an HTPC. That would require getting better cooling going on it. To get the budget for it, sell off some of the DDR2. You should get a good price for it.

Honestly though, the best course of action would be to sell it. You've already got two build that are better for gaming and video editing. I don't see the point in keeping an old build around that you don't have a use for.
Related resources

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
July 27, 2010 4:22:54 PM

Don't sell the older Q9650 short... specially for a gaming build!! It will beat the X6 1055T ( http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/49?vs=147 ) and competes with the i5-750 ( http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/49?vs=109 ). It maybe older tech but it was the Flagship for the most part of the LGA 775 CPU's.

You can either sell the parts off (probably the best option) or use it for a gaming build over the 1055T & use the 1055T for your video editing, which is what a 6-core CPU was truly designed for.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
July 27, 2010 4:37:34 PM

Well I am selling off a computer to my parents for a home built DVR. It's a older Phenom II X3 720, 4 GB of corsair memory, a 500 GB drive (they won't be recording in HD) a G210 video card and a older 790GX gigabyte motherboard. It'll serve them just fine. I am losing money on the deal (I am only selling it to my parents for $160, that about the price of the tv tuner and the memory.) but it's better than the PC just sitting in some box or my work shed. I will use the money towards buying a new GTX 460 and installing it in my i5 or maybe this Q9650, assuming the CPU itself won't bottleneck it. Thoughts?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
July 27, 2010 4:42:47 PM

tecmo34 said:
Don't sell the older Q9650 short... specially for a gaming build!! It will beat the X6 1055T ( http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/49?vs=147 ) and competes with the i5-750 ( http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/49?vs=109 ). It maybe older tech but it was the Flagship for the most part of the LGA 775 CPU's.

You can either sell the parts off (probably the best option) or use it for a gaming build over the 1055T & use the 1055T for your video editing, which is what a 6-core CPU was truly designed for.

Thanks for the links! That's pretty sweet how it has the drop down menus! Instant bookmark! And it looks like this old CPU probably won't bottleneck a single GTX 460, so maybe I'll use that. Or stick with my i5 750 (although I have twice as much memory in the darn i5! Just so happened I had old DDR2 layin' around!)
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
July 27, 2010 4:56:25 PM

MadAdmiral said:
You could turn it into an HTPC. That would require getting better cooling going on it. To get the budget for it, sell off some of the DDR2. You should get a good price for it.

Honestly though, the best course of action would be to sell it. You've already got two build that are better for gaming and video editing. I don't see the point in keeping an old build around that you don't have a use for.

Selling it was an option, briefly. After posting the CPU alone with a Cooler Master 212+ for $200 and having about 40 people e-mail me asking if I'll take $100 or $150 for it, I said to myself "Well, screw this! I am keepin' this bugger!" Since I don't do any real high end gaming (I play WoW, GTA IV, Crysis, TF2 and that's about it. I lean more towards consoles.) I guess I could justify keeping this around since paired with a good video card I would guess it can play all the games listed pretty well. I have a 4770 in the machine at the moment and I had a spare 4890 that I am running in my i5 setup (but later on today I plan to pick up a GTX 460 SC) so who knows what I'll do now. I want to keep the AMD stuff with AMD computers (I know, it's dumb for me to think that way) and Intel gets the Nvidia goodness.

In my Leo platform I have the 5850 Black Edition and I really like that card. But for gaming I know it will only be on par with the GTX 470 (maybe the 460 even in some situations). So who knows where I will go from here. I know if I want to SLI a pair of 460's I'll need a new MB though. But I won't pay another $340 for a second 5850 if the performance isn't justified (and from the reviews comparing the 460 SLI to 5850 CF, it isn't).
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
July 27, 2010 5:00:36 PM

Just a quick clarification. The 5850 beats the 460 pretty much across the board. The 470's more on par with the 5850. Of course, that's only before adding the second card. The AMD build would be the stronger gamer, despite the X6 not being that great in gaming.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 3, 2010 2:45:27 AM

Best answer selected by greeneman510.
!