Hard drive for a new IBM

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
November 18, 2004 9:04:55 AM

I just got a new IBM today and after installing all the programs I need I
only have about 20 G's left of 40. And I haven't even started saving
anything yet.
Anyway, It's a brand new laptop and I'm wandering if I should get an 80 G
hard drive and if so what brand name of HD and from whom should I buy it?

Thanks.

IS.

More about : hard drive ibm

November 18, 2004 11:05:07 AM

I have a external hard drive USB 2 and it works great, has it's own case and
power supply.

"IS" <y@y.com> wrote in message
>I just got a new IBM today and after installing all the programs I need I
> only have about 20 G's left of 40. And I haven't even started saving
> anything yet.
> Anyway, It's a brand new laptop and I'm wandering if I should get an 80 G
> hard drive and if so what brand name of HD and from whom should I buy it?
>
> Thanks.
>
> IS.

November 18, 2004 5:41:44 PM

>I'm wandering if I should get an 80 G hard drive and if so
>what brand name of HD and from whom should I buy it?

Checkout: $116 for a Toshiba MK6026GAX - 60GB ATA-6 -
9.5mm - 5400RPM - 16.3MB Buffer
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...

Checkout: $160 for a Toshiba MK8026GAX - 80GB ATA-6 -
9.5mm - 5400RPM - 16.3MB Buffer
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...

I've been pleased with both for months.

Regards ... John
a b D Laptop
November 18, 2004 7:36:50 PM

That wouldn't be mobile enough. I have one like that on my desktop and I
agree with you they do work very nicely.

Thanks.

> I have a external hard drive USB 2 and it works great, has it's own case
and
> power supply.
>
> "IS" <y@y.com> wrote in message
> >I just got a new IBM today and after installing all the programs I need I
> > only have about 20 G's left of 40. And I haven't even started saving
> > anything yet.
> > Anyway, It's a brand new laptop and I'm wandering if I should get an 80
> > hard drive and if so what brand name of HD and from whom should I buy
it?

> > Thanks.
> >
> > IS.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 18, 2004 7:37:55 PM

Thanks for those links. I didn't know of this place.
I will consider getting the 80 G because they are both the same weight.

Thanks.

IS.

"John" <jeshoemaker@aol.comNOSPAM> wrote in message
> >I'm wandering if I should get an 80 G hard drive and if so
> >what brand name of HD and from whom should I buy it?
>
> Checkout: $116 for a Toshiba MK6026GAX - 60GB ATA-6 -
> 9.5mm - 5400RPM - 16.3MB Buffer
> http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...
>
> Checkout: $160 for a Toshiba MK8026GAX - 80GB ATA-6 -
> 9.5mm - 5400RPM - 16.3MB Buffer
> http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...
>
> I've been pleased with both for months.
>
> Regards ... John

November 18, 2004 7:37:56 PM

I have used ZipZoomFly for a couple of purchases. Very good company.

jimbo

IS wrote:
> Thanks for those links. I didn't know of this place.
> I will consider getting the 80 G because they are both the same weight.
>
> Thanks.
>
> IS.

>>Checkout: $116 for a Toshiba MK6026GAX - 60GB ATA-6 -
>> 9.5mm - 5400RPM - 16.3MB Buffer
>> http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 19, 2004 1:20:01 AM

I like the 60G 7200rpm drives. 80 @ 5400 is nearly as good.

I think you need to reconsider external drives. Backup image, video, audio,
drivers and who knows what else. whenever you sync up at home, take what
you need, delete what you don't. And never have to rebuild you system from
restore disks again.

"IS" <y@y.com> wrote in message
news:D d4nd.19730$fC4.8325@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com...
> Thanks for those links. I didn't know of this place.
> I will consider getting the 80 G because they are both the same weight.
>
> Thanks.
>
> IS.
>

> "John" <jeshoemaker@aol.comNOSPAM> wrote in message
>> >I'm wandering if I should get an 80 G hard drive and if so
>> >what brand name of HD and from whom should I buy it?
>>
>> Checkout: $116 for a Toshiba MK6026GAX - 60GB ATA-6 -
>> 9.5mm - 5400RPM - 16.3MB Buffer
>> http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...
>>
>> Checkout: $160 for a Toshiba MK8026GAX - 80GB ATA-6 -
>> 9.5mm - 5400RPM - 16.3MB Buffer
>> http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...
>>
>> I've been pleased with both for months.
>>
>> Regards ... John

November 19, 2004 10:50:35 AM

You can get the "2nd HDD Caddy" for about $45 or less, and just plop
drive in the caddy, and pop it in place of the DVD drive. I just
replaced the original 40 Gb Travelstar that came in my Thinkpad with a
Fujitsu 80 Gb drive, took about 5 minutes. I also have two HDD's in
the caddies, one for backup and one for data storage.

Best to change it now before you load it up with data. I think the
100 Gb drives may be coming down a bit in price too, but when I bought
my 80 Gb the price difference between 80 and 100 was just too much to
justify. Even 100 Gb is too small..... he he.... ALL hard drives are
too small.... yuk

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 06:04:55 GMT, "IS" <y@y.com> wrote:

>I just got a new IBM today and after installing all the programs I need I
>only have about 20 G's left of 40. And I haven't even started saving
>anything yet.
>Anyway, It's a brand new laptop and I'm wandering if I should get an 80 G
>hard drive and if so what brand name of HD and from whom should I buy it?
>
>Thanks.
>
>IS.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 19, 2004 1:42:21 PM

Kevin wrote:
> I like the 60G 7200rpm drives. 80 @ 5400 is nearly as good.
>
> I think you need to reconsider external drives. Backup image, video, audio,
> drivers and who knows what else. whenever you sync up at home, take what
> you need, delete what you don't. And never have to rebuild you system from
> restore disks again.
>

> "IS" <y@y.com> wrote in message
> news:D d4nd.19730$fC4.8325@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com...
>
>>Thanks for those links. I didn't know of this place.
>>I will consider getting the 80 G because they are both the same weight.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>IS.
>>

>>"John" <jeshoemaker@aol.comNOSPAM> wrote in message

>>>Checkout: $116 for a Toshiba MK6026GAX - 60GB ATA-6 -
>>> 9.5mm - 5400RPM - 16.3MB Buffer
>>> http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...
>>>
>>>Checkout: $160 for a Toshiba MK8026GAX - 80GB ATA-6 -
>>> 9.5mm - 5400RPM - 16.3MB Buffer
>>> http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...
>>>
>>>I've been pleased with both for months.
>>>
>>>Regards ... John

I second the positive comments on zipzoomfly. I do not think you
mentioned if your machine has an ultraslim bay. If it does, I strongly
advise you to buy from IBM the HDD adapter for it, so that removing the
DVD drive enables you to have two hd in your machines. Beats any
external drive. BUT, I use both approaches and have too an external
Firewire drive (USB would be fine too) so that I can move data to other
machines than IBM's. Start with the HD slimbay adapter, takes about 2
weeks to get it from IBM. One problem is, unless you buy the HD from IBM
(dissuasive cost) you need a special enclosure (about $30.00) to put the
HD in before it will fit into the adapter. Trying to do without this
enclosure is a major source of problem and mishaps. They are difficult
to find, one source is, email at bill@thinkpads.com.

Best regards

--
John Doue