Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HD Enclosure eSATA

Last response: in Storage
October 10, 2012 1:39:46 PM

I bought an enclosure for my SATA drive and have it working great on my ION media center pc. My issue is that I have to switch on the power to the enclosure when I boot up my media pc and shut it down. Is there any way to get an enclosure that uses eSATA to power this drive without a power cable? Or is there a case where I can use USB to power it and have it do data through eSATA? I am streaming video off the drive, can I just use USB 2.0 or will I get bottleneck and experience slowdown on my video viewing? Please help, offer any ideas I am open to getting a new enclosure. THe HDD is a 5400 RPM 2 TB drive that is SATA.

More about : enclosure esata

October 10, 2012 3:00:07 PM

Ya that one includes the drive, I need one for a desktop size drive not a 2.5"

I am checking out the google results.
m
l
Related resources
a c 300 G Storage
October 10, 2012 11:58:31 PM

You might like to read the following primer:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESATAp

"In computing, eSATAp (also known as Power over eSATA, Power eSATA, eSATA/USB Combo, eSATA USB Hybrid Port (EUHP)) is a combination connection for external storage devices. A single eSATAp, eSATA or USB device can be plugged into an eSATAp port. The socket has keyed cutouts for both types of device to ensure that a connector can only be plugged in the right way round."
m
l
October 11, 2012 6:21:34 PM

My media pc doesn't have a eSATA combo port or eSATAp....

Is there any way to have a eSATA enclosure and use the usb for power? I really hate using the switch :) 
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
October 11, 2012 6:59:22 PM

To answer your question from a simple perspective : NO
October 11, 2012 8:15:59 PM

Best answer selected by wreed.
m
l
!