Raizen Bleu

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
Is there an AM3 Motherboard that don't support DDR3 RAM? If yes then what is the AM3's significance to those motherboard that don't support DDR3? As far as i know, AM3's additonal capability is to support DDR3. I ask because when I'm buying AM3 mobo and a ddr3 ram, they told me that my am3board is not compatible with ddr3ram. please tell me whats the real issue beyond this or i just though a wrong conclusion

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
ok basically you can use most AM3 CPU's in AM2+ motherboards. just check with the CPU support list from the motherboard vendor.

I myself have chucked a Phenom II 965 in a cheap 'ol ASUS AM2+ board, with 4GB of DDR2 ram, and it works just fine!

About AM3 boards, for as far as I am concerned, the biggest difference is the RAM, there are of course other small changes.

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
You're probably referring to the AM2+ motherboard. If that's the question, then the answer is yes. An AM3 CPU is backward compatible with an AM2+ motherboard. Which means you can use a DDR2 RAM along with the AM3 CPU. Simple as that... ;)

What everyone has said so far covers most of what I think you are wondering. However, I would like to mention that many motherboards that are AM2+ and support all AM3 motherboard will say "AM3 support" or something like that. But if you look in the specs, it is actually an AM2+ motherboard. Sounds like you bought one of those.