Is there a ssd that is compatible with x58?

wabiker

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
Resurrecting a dead thread.
I have a ASUS P6X58D Premium, it does have SATAIII.

I contacted Samsung and was told that the Samsung 830 does NOT perform optimally with this MOBO.

I have tried to contact Asus for recommendations but have not heard back.
Can someone point me in the right direction for a mid-range SSD that WILL perform optimally with the ASUS P6X58D Premium motherboard?

I want to use it as a Boot Drive, not for "storage"
thx in advance.

wabiker

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
Didnt know I posted this twice, and if I did, I certainly had no intention of doing so.
Seems to me "not optimal" says enough. Would imply sub-par. I have read far to many posts discussing the issues related to the different controllers, I simply dont want those same issues.
As for my "range", looking at 256gb.

We can't help you decide what would be better without knowing the problem, for all we know your sata ports could be faulty or the ssd itself could be faulty. by sub optimal what EXACTLY are you having issues with? is it slow? not detected, bsoding, etc. What are your read write speeds in the OS?

I've heard good things about the vertex 4

You'll have the fastest boot times for windows, programs & games installed on the SSD, it's a great upgrade from HDD whether it's Sata II or Sata III.

Not performing optimally, means that you won't get those benchmar numbers tested by reviewers...that's it all.

Read the SSD tweaks and optimization before & after you install the OS and forget about it.

It's obvious to me that he aint got any SSD before.

In the current article they are mostly concerned about saving space in any way they can and less about speed, something shouldn't be disabled on an ssd of this size because it causes slowdowns relative to if you would have had it on, such as prefetch and a few others. I'd have to go back and take a look but yes I agree. go over that article, see what you can do, make sure what your disabling that you actually know what it does.

(eww horrible grammar in that. I was rushing)

Edit: haha woops, in my rushing I seem to have mixed up the "hard drive optimization" article with an ssd one :eek:
Edit2: it seems they do say stuff about ssds in that article. I shouldn't post before my morning coffee...

Yeah actually i don't know what you're talking about :) so if I were you I would delete the whole post.

wabiker

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
Perhaps I wasnt clear.
I looking to upgrade to SSD for a boot drive. Im trying to decide which brand/model to purchase. In reviewing the article it made mention of SATAIII, and implies that with SATAIII I shouldnt have any issues.

However, The correspondance from Samsung says that although the 830 is compatible, it will not perform "optimally" (whatever is meant by that)
So, my thoughts are to avoid potential conflict/performance issues, I would be better served by using an Intell product..?
thx

Oh man I even forgot to link the article... http://www.tomsguide.com/us/pictures-story/419-hdd-ssd-optimization-improve-performance.html

Well anyhow I found this thread from 2011 that sheds light on the x58 marvell controllers and ssd speeds. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/268882-32-sata-worthless-marvell-controller

In short it will work but it might not be as fast as some other people with higher end / newer controllers

But really during ordinary use you won't notice the difference (unless you were say copying 200+gb of stuff from one ssd to another side by side)

COLGeek

Cybernaut

So, the "sub-optimal" comment from Samsung must be because of the Marvell SATA controller on the ASUS P6X58D Premium motherboard. Personally, I would still recommend going with the Samsung 830 and using on the Marvell controller.

Should you ever swap mobos, you will have a great SSD ready to go. Honestly, I think your performance will be more than acceptable.

Good luck!

wabiker

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
COLGeek, right on.
Pretty much the answer I was looking for.
My Tech Skillz are at a Plug and Play level, so after reading a few dozen threads on and around the subject ie SATA III vs SATA II vs Marvell Controller vs Sandforce vs Write speeds vs Sequential speeds...etc etc etc, my eyes started to glaze over and things started to get a bit confusing.

Thx for all the responses!