Is there a ssd that is compatible with x58?

wabiker

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
Resurrecting a dead thread.
I have a ASUS P6X58D Premium, it does have SATAIII.

I contacted Samsung and was told that the Samsung 830 does NOT perform optimally with this MOBO.

I have tried to contact Asus for recommendations but have not heard back.
Can someone point me in the right direction for a mid-range SSD that WILL perform optimally with the ASUS P6X58D Premium motherboard?

I want to use it as a Boot Drive, not for "storage"
thx in advance.

larkspur

Distinguished

You have to elaborate on this. Your motherboard has two different SATA controllers on it. ICH10R provides six SATA 3gb/s ports. Those are slower and won't allow the Samsung 830 to reach it's full performance potential. The other controller is a Marvell SATA controller that provides two SATA 6gb/s ports. That controller should work fine with your Samsung 830. Make sure you plug the SSD into one of the two SATA 6gb/s ports and not the other slower ones.

Truth be told, it's usually best to use the native Intel SATA ports, but in your situation your Intel sata ports are too slow for the 6gb/s Samsung 830. It would still work, but not optimally. But that is why the Marvell controller is included on your motherboard - it is for SATA 6gb/s storage devices, so you might as well use it.

TRENDING THREADS