Rate My First Build

CaliChamp12

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Hey guys,

I'm going to be building my first computer and want some advice. Below, I have a list of components that I want to buy but want to get a second oppinion to make sure I'm making the right choise's (and everything is compatible).

A little about me, I am an occational gamer. I mostly use my computer to download a ton of movies/music. I use Adobe Photoshop CS5 and make my own ringtones.

Mother Board: MSI 880GMA-E45 AM3

CPU: AMD Phenom™ II X4 Processor Model: 965

RAM: (6GB ) Crucial Part #: BL2KIT25664TG1608 + Part #: T2KIT12864BA1067

CD/DVD Drive: (x2) LG WH10LS30K

Hard Drive: (x2) WD Caviar Blue SATA Hard Drives 500 GB, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16 MB Cache, 7200 RPM

Graphics Card: MSI N250GTS TwinFrozr 1G OC

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card

Power:CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP

Please let me know what you would change about my build.

Thanks

I'd say look for a higher rated psu to start, people will probably suggest some decent ones like corsairs' Tx series,
if you use photo editing to any serious degree youll want one,possibly two better graphics cards,
how is your 6Gb of ram split? 3x2Gb sticks? you'll lose out on dual channel there so either drop to two sticks or go up to four sticks,
is the soundcard absolutely necessary at this point? your onboard should be fine for ringtone creation I'd have thought
Mobo
hdd
chip
cd drives
and case all funky,
Moto

CaliChamp12

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
I've never actually built a computer so I kind of took each catagory by it's self and picked what I thought was the best in each. That's why everything kind of comes out funky. Let me know what you would do, I'm working with $1000 but would like to stay under that.

$660AR? I feel your case, doubling up in HDD/ODD is compromising in gaming performance ^^
Untitled-1415.jpg

sevyr

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
It's all really good for your price range, just make sure that the Mobo supports your 6 GB RAM, cuz if it is [3x2GB] i don't think it will work. That RAM would be for triple channel and you are currently going with a dual channel build.

As Moto said, your onboard should be enought for your ringtone creation, but if you really want to be on the safe side go ahead ;) just be sure your comfortable with it b4 you buy it.

Other than that i support your choice in the HAF 922 (sexy case) and all the others are good choices.