IBM Thinkpad 380D - Yes I know it's old but I could do wit..

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
November 18, 2004 7:47:09 AM

Hello,

I've just got an old IBM Thinkpad 380d from ebay. Yep - I realise it's
old, but all I wanted was a word processor I could use on the bus!
Now, I'm having some problems, and I was hoping that someone with some
knowledge of these might be able to advise me. This is my first laptop
so I may be missing something obvious.

First question is, does anyone know how long the battery takes to
charge? It's a Li-on (or whatever) type, and has IBM written on it so
I assume this is the original.

My next problem is weird. the computer seems to die when I use the CD
Rom. I just get a black screen - it's very frustrating. I have the
Laptop plugged into the mains so I don't think it's a battery issue
but I may be wrong. It also goes like this after a certain amount of
time.

If I change the resolution to 1024 x 768, the task bar goes over the
screen. Is there anyway to fix this?

Any advice would be useful! I realise it's an old model, but I do
quite like how sturdy it is and it runs suprisingly well! Do you think
it'd handle Windows ME or not - 150mhz processer, 35mb Ram.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,
Stu.

Stuart Clark
Stuart_Clark@excite.com

ref - moonklash

More about : ibm thinkpad 380d wit

November 18, 2004 5:37:12 PM

In article <c7e0f71c.0411180447.3d31b94e@posting.google.com>,
stuart_clark@Excite.com (Stuart Clark) wrote:

> My next problem is weird. the computer seems to die when I use the CD
> Rom. I just get a black screen - it's very frustrating. I have the
> Laptop plugged into the mains so I don't think it's a battery issue
> but I may be wrong. It also goes like this after a certain amount of
> time.

I picked up a "dead" ThinkPad for nothing. I troubleshot it and found
that the problem was that one of the RAM slots was defective. I now use
just one slot and it works perfectly. The bad slot was time/temp.
sensitive; I think it's a bad solder joint. So I have just 125MB instead
of 160MB of RAM. And you know what? I don't care and it works just fine.

You may have just have to live without the CD-ROM drive unless you want
to tear into the unit and look for bad solder joints at the connectors.

Al
November 18, 2004 5:57:29 PM

Stuart Clark wrote:
>First question is, does anyone know how long the battery takes to
>charge? It's a Li-on (or whatever) type, and has IBM written on it so
>I assume this is the original.

If it doesn't accept a charge it is probably dead.
Checkout: http://tinyurl.com/5aqm7

>My next problem is weird. the computer seems to die when I use the
>CD Rom. I just get a black screen - it's very frustrating. I have the
>Laptop plugged into the mains so I don't think it's a battery issue
>but I may be wrong. It also goes like this after a certain amount of
>time.

Sounds like a faulty "inverter." You can download the Hardware
Maintenance Manual for the ThinkPad 380 series from:
http://tinyurl.com/3ht3z

It might be earier to replace the complete LCD. When available,
a replacement screen can be purchased inexpensively at Ebay

>If I change the resolution to 1024 x 768, the task bar goes over the
>screen. Is there anyway to fix this?

IIRC, 800 x 600 is the max for the 380. Someone may correct me
on that. However, I have a 380d and use 800 x 600 resolution.

Regards ... John
November 18, 2004 6:13:57 PM

Al posted:
>I picked up a "dead" ThinkPad for nothing. I troubleshot it and found
>that the problem was that one of the RAM slots was defective. I now use
>just one slot and it works perfectly. The bad slot was time/temp.
>sensitive; I think it's a bad solder joint. So I have just 125MB instead
>of 160MB of RAM....

It was obviously not a 380D since it has only 1 expansion socket.
Standard Memory: 8 or 16 MB (non-removable)
Maximum Memory: 72 or 80 MB

FWIW, I purchased a 64MB Module (76H0268) for $22.00 from
http://www.18004memory.com/model.asp?mfgID=46

Regards ... John
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 20, 2004 6:07:44 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice!

I haven't got it going, and I need the CD Rom drive so I'm going to
send it back, but the advice I've had has been great. Oh well, I guess
I better start saving for something a little more modern...

Cheers!

Stu.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 21, 2004 4:04:35 AM

That's a shame - I was going to strongly suggest not putting WinMe on your
laptop, as it is a pretty terrible OS compared to Win98SE or 2000. Guess
that's not of much use now...

Duncan.

!