Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

SSD, HHD, and RAM disk setup.

Last response: in Storage
Share
October 10, 2012 7:57:32 PM

Laptop and looking to add a ~250GB SSD, increase RAM from 8GB to 16GM which is maximum and move 5400 750GB HD to 2nd. I'm running Win 7, Adobe master suite and a work estimating software that runs on MS-SQL. I'm thinking of making a RAM disk of 8GB. Do I need to partition it off for Photoshop, cache, scratch etc? or do they take up what they want/need on the fly? I'll save the RAM disk image to the hard drive for power off. Do I need a RAM disk or will Win 7 know to use up all of the RAM? Does the SSD software already cache/scratch in RAM on its own? I'm looking for speed and SSD longevity. Please comment as I'm ready to order everything. Samsung 830 or PNY Prevail Elite.

More about : ssd hhd ram disk setup

October 10, 2012 8:07:41 PM

Samsung 830 hands down. I have a samsung 830 256GB and the samsung 840's are about to come out so you may want to take a look into that.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

IN terms of how it will setup. With a SSD and that amount of ram you'll be going through photoshop very fast. The computer will deal with it on its own you don't have to do anything to it. In terms of how long it will last will depend on how hard you abuse your system :p  but jokes aside should last as long or longer then a normal HDD I would think Samsung has some really well built ssds.

Intel Core i5 2500k
Asrock Z68 EXTREME4 Gen 3
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB OC
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 8GB (2x4)
Samsung 830 256GB SATA III SSD
Seagate Barracuda 500 GB SATA II
LG 12x Super Multi Blue WH12LS38
CM Storm Sniper
Corsair AX850 PSU
Corsair Hydro H100
m
0
l
October 10, 2012 8:15:16 PM

Vertex 4 is better than Samsung 830. Plextor MS5 is also great. I'd recommend buying Vertex 4 or Plextor MS5 over Samsung 830 unless the 830s are more than about $5 cheaper right now.
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b G Storage
October 10, 2012 8:16:20 PM

With Windows 7, I don't find an advantage of a ramdisk. Windows caches most commonly used files in RAM as it needs and discards old files not used and does a good job. PS will use the 16GB first before it needs to go to a scratch disk anyways, so I'd give it the full 16gb instead.

I wanted to use a ramdisk for my battlefield so maps would load faster, went through all the trouble of installing it, setting it to commit any changes, etc. First boot, the ramdisk was a bit faster but once Windows cached what it needed, there was no difference and was more of a pain to make sure everything was always saved and remounted on startup, etc.

I'd say go max ram and let windows handle it, it does a good job of knowing what to use where.
Share
October 10, 2012 8:39:41 PM

getochkn said:
With Windows 7, I don't find an advantage of a ramdisk. Windows caches most commonly used files in RAM as it needs and discards old files not used and does a good job. PS will use the 16GB first before it needs to go to a scratch disk anyways, so I'd give it the full 16gb instead.

I wanted to use a ramdisk for my battlefield so maps would load faster, went through all the trouble of installing it, setting it to commit any changes, etc. First boot, the ramdisk was a bit faster but once Windows cached what it needed, there was no difference and was more of a pain to make sure everything was always saved and remounted on startup, etc.

I'd say go max ram and let windows handle it, it does a good job of knowing what to use where.


That's not my experience with Windows on my desktop that has 16GB of RAM.
m
0
l
October 10, 2012 9:44:25 PM

Oh, I understand now yea I don't think you honestly really at this point need a ram disk. I play BF3 on a SSD and the maps load quite fast. And I'd argue your vertex 4 argument. Throwing in a SSD a good SSD will push the need to need to have a part of your SSD cache the other as well IMHO.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/840-pro-ssd-toggle-...

m
0
l
October 10, 2012 9:58:25 PM

bigshootr8 said:
Oh, I understand now yea I don't think you honestly really at this point need a ram disk. I play BF3 on a SSD and the maps load quite fast. And I'd argue your vertex 4 argument. Throwing in a SSD a good SSD will push the need to need to have a part of your SSD cache the other as well IMHO.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/840-pro-ssd-toggle-...

http://media.bestofmicro.com/R/O/353508/original/sbv1_busyrate.png


That's only one test. The Vertex 4 wins most of them against the 830 and the MS5. I do agree that BF3 would load very fast on an SSD and to such a point where a RAM drive, albeit faster, is not necessary nor even worth the effort. SSDs are quite literally fast enough.
m
0
l
October 10, 2012 10:35:23 PM

You really should read the article that toms put out for the 840 it as well as the 830 beats the vertex 4 in all the tests they show in that review.
m
0
l
October 10, 2012 10:36:58 PM

bigshootr8 said:
You really should read the article that toms put out for the 840 it as well as the 830 beats the vertex 4 in all the tests they show in that review.


http://www.anandtech.com/show/6153/plextor-m5-pro-256gb...

Anandtech disagrees. Regardless, I think that it's not worth arguing over. These drives are all so close that which wins will depend on the test. I'll shut up about it now.
m
0
l
October 10, 2012 10:46:05 PM

Yea honestly they are rather close although on that amandtech one there is a benchmark where it isnt even close on both sides. The samsung 830 is a little dated should be interesting once the 840 comes out both drives I'm sure are worthy choices. I have a old vertex 2 and it was a great drive.
m
0
l
October 11, 2012 1:30:18 AM

Best answer selected by cat5fan.
m
0
l
October 11, 2012 1:32:50 AM

getochkn said:
With Windows 7, I don't find an advantage of a ramdisk. Windows caches most commonly used files in RAM as it needs and discards old files not used and does a good job. PS will use the 16GB first before it needs to go to a scratch disk anyways, so I'd give it the full 16gb instead.

I wanted to use a ramdisk for my battlefield so maps would load faster, went through all the trouble of installing it, setting it to commit any changes, etc. First boot, the ramdisk was a bit faster but once Windows cached what it needed, there was no difference and was more of a pain to make sure everything was always saved and remounted on startup, etc.

I'd say go max ram and let windows handle it, it does a good job of knowing what to use where.


I'm not sure I agree with everything you're saying but you answered all of my questions. Thanks and thats why I chose you as best answer. Most of the other people got into the ssd brand wars. Thanks again.
m
0
l
!