Problems with re-furbished computer

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Hi all,

Recently i refurbished an old computer of mine.

Here is the spec:

Asus M2N-32 SLI Deluxe
4GB Corsair DDR2 800 MHz
AMD Athlon 4400 2.4GHz Dual Core
XFX GTX 280 XXX*
Hitachi Deskstar 500GB*
Generic DVD RW
Corsair TX 650W*
Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro*
Creative Audigy 4 Sound Card

The stars next to certain parts indicate new parts that have replaced old/dying parts in the refurbishment.

Basically, i turn the computer on, all the fans spin up including the graphics card fan (up to very high) and nothing happens, not even a screen. There is a speaker in my case and no beeps are made.

I have tried the RAM, one stick at a time etc, no difference.

Checked all connections and re-sat them.

Checked for dust/anything that could be shorting the motherboard.

I am not able to swap any parts out as these are all i've got at the minute so im a bit stuck for ideas.

My own theory is that the motherboard might have gone, what do you guys think?

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Just to update, after checking with my spare power supply i remembered i had (a Xigmatek NRP 1.2 KW, known to work perfectly) the bloody thing booted just fine!

I would never have bet on my power supply being DOA in a million years considering the age of the motherboard and other parts. Oh well, im just glad its resolved, ill update on any more developments.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Another update, after switching back to the allegedly dead new power supply, it actually worked. This, to me, is more worrying than relieving as it signifies something is still wrong but is also intermittent,

Anyway, im going to continue and install Windows.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Its funny though because my original go around had all the connections reseated. Well at least that problem is solved, im actually onto another. I'm getting an IRQL BSoD whenever i try to install graphics drivers.