Sign in with
Your question

Humidifier and Hard Drives (Computers in General)

Last response: in Storage
October 10, 2012 8:07:33 PM

I have no idea where the correct place to put this is, but I figured since the main culprit I'd have thought to be the hard drives I'd post it in here.

My computer is currently in my bedroom which is the only place I can put it and my room is really dry this time of year. Because I'm getting sick of waking up with dry mouth and a sore throat I want to use my humidifier. My question to the community is whether or not a humidifier being in the same room as my PC will damage the computer.
I can put the humidifier on the other side of the room if that makes a difference and my computer is not usually on for more than 4-5 hours a day, and never while I'm a sleep.

Any suggestions/opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a bunch,
-Vanq
October 10, 2012 8:33:59 PM

A humidifier can be a problem, depending on the size of the room. Basically, you just need to make sure the humidity level stays below, say 60%. I usually aim for about 30%, personally, for comfort. I live in SE AZ, and dry is the norm here, so I do understand (we regularly get single digit humidity during certain parts of the year).
a c 288 G Storage
October 10, 2012 11:27:01 PM

Computer equipment in a dry environment is more prone to ESD problems. FWIW, many years ago I had a customer whose HDD (a large Control Data storage module drive) would frequently produce "status errors", and especially after the operator touched it after walking over the carpeted floor. The solution in that case was to install a humidifer. I don't know if this experience is relevant to modern HDD technology, though.
!