Suggestion needed: upgrading from 9600GT to...

xzap042

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
Hello,
I have E8400 + ASUS P5K-VM board + 9600GT and need and upgrade now, but dont want to spend too much. So i'm thinking of keeping my cpu + mobo for now and upgrade the GPU. In fact i've already sold my GPU for ~70$

Now i cant decide to buy which one. I've narrowed my choices to upper end GTX-2XX series or equivalent ATI card. but im also thinking of GTX-4XX series or ATI eq. for a little future proofing so i can upgrade my cpu + mobo later. So what do you guys think? with my setup would it be really worthwhile to choose GTX-4XX series over GTX-2XX series considering the price difference. any suggestions would be appreciated.

btw: I run at ~1600*1200 and dont plan to SLI and probably never will unless of course something drastic changes my mind.

thanks in advance.

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
You have limited potential with your current setup, so it would be a waste of money to overbuy on graphics right now. I know what you are saying about the future, but if you plan to keep this rig as is for a while, the prices will come down on those more expensive cards...and by the time you can benefit from the upgrade it could save you a bunch. I would be looking at cards in the $150 range if you are unwilling to sli, but the most bang for your buck would be to add a second 9600.

xzap042

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
currently I have cooler master 400W PSU so i'm expecting I'll need to update my PSU as well and I expect to spend ~200-225 on GPU. According to my friends, I should not spend too much and get an average GPU and later take SLI/Crossfire mobo and then get another of GPU for performance? Is this a good idea?

A single more powerful GPU is a better more trouble free option than two weaker ones with the exception that you already have a GPU and can pick up another one to increase your performance cheaper than going with a new single one of matching performance.

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
At that resolution, the 5770 is perfect. It costs around 160$, and will run most games at playable FPS and high settings.For the remaining part of your budget, get a good PSU.The 5770 requires at least 450W PSU