Sign in with
Your question

PCIe ssd vs SATA III ssd on SATA II interface

Last response: in Storage
October 10, 2012 8:20:11 PM

Hello this is my motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L. As i am limited to sata II ports. i read somewhere that a sata III ssd running on a sata II port would run much slower. performance wise would it be smarter to buy the pcie ssd? or to run the sataIII ssd on my motherboard?

pcie ssd i am looking at is the

OCZ RevoDrive 3 Series 120 GB PCI Express 4 GB-s Slim Solid State Drive

sataIII ssd i am looking at is the

SATA3 120.0 INTEL SSD 520 CHERRYVILLE OEM

i am upgrading from a HDD and use my computer mainly for gaming and graphic design.
October 10, 2012 8:57:02 PM

actually now that i look at my motherboard i dont think the revodrive would work as i only have PCI Express x1 slots and PCI Slots available. i guess im sticking with the intel ssd until a mobo upgrade.
m
l
June 16, 2014 2:09:10 PM

mexfool said:
Hello this is my motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L. As i am limited to sata II ports. i read somewhere that a sata III ssd running on a sata II port would run much slower. performance wise would it be smarter to buy the pcie ssd? or to run the sataIII ssd on my motherboard?

pcie ssd i am looking at is the

OCZ RevoDrive 3 Series 120 GB PCI Express 4 GB-s Slim Solid State Drive

sataIII ssd i am looking at is the

SATA3 120.0 INTEL SSD 520 CHERRYVILLE OEM

i am upgrading from a HDD and use my computer mainly for gaming and graphic design.

Buying a Sata III for this board would be poinless, it would only work at your interface speed, and if you don't have a slot for the PCI-e drive then you can't do that either, Just by a new gaming motherboard, of course that means a new CPU and everything else.
m
l
!