Printing Digital Photos - Self vs. Ritz et al

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 24, 2004 2:41:52 PM

I'm relatively new to digital photography and use Ritz Photo to make
my prints. I understand that it probably would cost a little more if
I bought a photo quality printer and did them myself. Are there any
other advantages to printing your own photos versus using Snapfish,
Walmart or Ritz (other than cost)? Thanks.
Alan
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 2:41:53 PM

Alan Wonsowski wrote:

> I'm relatively new to digital photography and use Ritz Photo to make
> my prints. I understand that it probably would cost a little more if
> I bought a photo quality printer and did them myself. Are there any
> other advantages to printing your own photos versus using Snapfish,
> Walmart or Ritz (other than cost)? Thanks.

Having your own printer means you get them right away.

I have a decent printer, but I only use it for 8"x10"
prints, and custom sized prints. If I want a
8" x 4" panorama, I can print it on 8.5 x 11 paper and
then crop a borderless 8" x 4" shot out of it.

5x7 and 4x6 snapshots I almost always get done at a
photo lab. I upload them to nearby drugstore at breakfast
and head down and pick them up by lunch time.

The other advantage to having your own color printer is
you can use it for printing other things besides photos.
(CD or DVD labels, posters, etc..)
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 3:34:11 PM

Alan Wonsowski wrote:
> I'm relatively new to digital photography and use Ritz Photo to make
> my prints. I understand that it probably would cost a little more if
> I bought a photo quality printer and did them myself. Are there any
> other advantages to printing your own photos versus using Snapfish,
> Walmart or Ritz (other than cost)? Thanks.
> Alan

It is not a matter of EITHER/OR.
I use BOTH an inkjet printer and an online printer regularly.
If you are at a party and 10 guests just LOVE the images you just showed
them on your TV and want a few copies, then obviously inkjet prints are
not the answer. Upload them to Walmart Online and have each person pick
up their finished pix at their closest Walmart store.
For that adorable impromptu shot of your child snoozing with his puppy,
you want the print NOW. Inkjet is the Answer.
Also, if you are very picky about exact color rendition, you may want to
make several test prints before settling on your final choice.
For 8x10 and larger, I very often tweak an image on my inkjet and then
have a more Archival copy printed online.
Bob Williams
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 3:37:40 PM

Alan Wonsowski wrote:
> I'm relatively new to digital photography and use Ritz Photo to make
> my prints. I understand that it probably would cost a little more if
> I bought a photo quality printer and did them myself. Are there any
> other advantages to printing your own photos versus using Snapfish,
> Walmart or Ritz (other than cost)? Thanks.
> Alan

Either choice introduces some necessary complications into the process
of transferring your vision to a print medium.

Color fidelity can be achieved at some cost in both home- and
commercially-produced prints.

Home-printing's costs are an investment of money in the machine and
supplies, and time and diligence in learning to make it all work. If you
like the feeling of accomplishment at solving complex and difficult
problems, and the fortitude and discernment to wade through them
effectively, home printing is likely a valuable enhancement to your work
and your life.

If you don't have the interest or time to invest in those subtleties
nearly no one will notice when viewing someone else's photographs, there
is a very wide range of quality in output available commercially. The
investment in learning and time is less, but not insignificant, and
depends on your standards for output.

If you are lucky you can do it my way: reasonably good equipment and a
few skills acquired more-or-less casually over a long period cranks out
very nice (but relatively distant from perfect) 8x10s for under a dollar
apiece, appropriate for gifting and album-ing; for larger or to-be-hung
prints, I have found a couple of online services that do much better
than I could, and one walk-in who will do-again over and over until they
are satisfied (often far beyond my expectations).

You pays you money (or time and energy) and you makes you choice.

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

"Alan Wonsowski" <awonsow@atattglobal.network> wrote in message
> I'm relatively new to digital photography and use Ritz Photo to make
> my prints. I understand that it probably would cost a little more if
> I bought a photo quality printer and did them myself. Are there any
> other advantages to printing your own photos versus using Snapfish,
> Walmart or Ritz (other than cost)? Thanks.
> Alan

This is a hobbyist thing. If you have fun printing your own photos (I do)
it is worth it. The commitment is similar to but different from working in
a darkroom. To get really accurate results, you should calibrate your
monitor, have a dedicated photo printer (with pigment type inks), and
provide your printer with "profiles". On the other hand, you may be
satisfied with less accurate results. In that case. the commercial prints
should be superior.

My opinion: unless you want to print in the home for your own satisfaction,
stick with commercial.
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 5:03:28 PM

Just adding to the other responses:
I'm a photo hobbyist and so greatly enjoy making my own custom-tweaked
12x16, 8.5x11 and 5x7 prints (on a Canon i9900). However, I *don't*
enjoy having to make more than 50 or 100 of my own prints at one time
so in that case I upload them to www.imagestation.com and have 5x7's
printed from there - this is also a nice way to send printed pics
directly to someone who does not have a computer, or you can also send
a link to those who might want to see your pics right away and they
can order (or download) the prints of their own choosing.

It is also really cool to be able to convert your own pics to
watercolors and other types of "art" using Photoshop CS or Elements -
it takes some experimentation to get good results. I have found Aaron
Brothers to have very nice, cheap frames for the sizes mentioned
above. My wife loves my "art" and has many items in her office at
work - even some of her coworkers have bought (at cost) some of my
"art" :)

"Alan Wonsowski" <awonsow@atattglobal.network> wrote in message
> I'm relatively new to digital photography and use Ritz Photo to make
> my prints. I understand that it probably would cost a little more
> if
> I bought a photo quality printer and did them myself. Are there any
> other advantages to printing your own photos versus using Snapfish,
> Walmart or Ritz (other than cost)? Thanks.
> Alan

Anonymous
December 24, 2004 7:55:54 PM

Alan Wonsowski wrote:
> I'm relatively new to digital photography and use Ritz Photo to make
> my prints. I understand that it probably would cost a little more if
> I bought a photo quality printer and did them myself. Are there any
> other advantages to printing your own photos versus using Snapfish,
> Walmart or Ritz (other than cost)? Thanks.
> Alan

Hi Alan...

The only one that comes to mind is the instant gratification...

Ken
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 7:55:55 PM

In article <uSXyd.574811$nl.471163@pd7tw3no>, Ken Weitzel <kweitzel@shaw.ca>
wrote:

> > Are there any other advantages to printing your own photos versus
> > using Snapfish, Walmart or Ritz (other than cost)?

> The only one that comes to mind is the instant gratification...

Instant, eh?

You must have a FAST printer!

[ducking]
:)
JR
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 8:35:36 PM

In article <5ghos0p2qnkcrr9pt2fs2ri1a5lnp1hk5t@4ax.com>,
Alan Wonsowski <awonsow@atattglobal.network> wrote:

> I'm relatively new to digital photography and use Ritz Photo to make
> my prints. I understand that it probably would cost a little more if
> I bought a photo quality printer and did them myself. Are there any
> other advantages to printing your own photos versus using Snapfish,
> Walmart or Ritz (other than cost)? Thanks.
> Alan

You can adjust them any way you wish. You can make any size on the paper
you wish. You don't have to drive and waste gasoline,....if inkjet
prints form newer printers are truly as archival as some say it appears
to be a no brainer.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 8:54:42 PM

Jim Townsend wrote:

> Alan Wonsowski wrote:
>

>>I'm relatively new to digital photography and use Ritz Photo to make
>>my prints. I understand that it probably would cost a little more if
>>I bought a photo quality printer and did them myself. Are there any
>>other advantages to printing your own photos versus using Snapfish,
>>Walmart or Ritz (other than cost)? Thanks.
>

> Having your own printer means you get them right away.
>

> The other advantage to having your own color printer is
> you can use it for printing other things besides photos.
> (CD or DVD labels, posters, etc..)

I'd posit one more : Having your own printer makes it easier to learn
color management. Unless you have an extraordinary person at your local
Ritz or Walmart, likely they'll confuse you on color management, or know
less than a beginner at it.

--
John McWilliams
December 24, 2004 10:00:48 PM

"Alan Wonsowski" <awonsow@atattglobal.network> wrote in message
> I'm relatively new to digital photography and use Ritz Photo to make
> my prints. I understand that it probably would cost a little more if
> I bought a photo quality printer and did them myself. Are there any
> other advantages to printing your own photos versus using Snapfish,
> Walmart or Ritz (other than cost)? Thanks.
> Alan

Do those people sell 11x14, 11x17, or 13x19 prints?
Jim
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 11:33:26 PM

I usually print my own stuff, especially at sizes larger than 4x6. However,
here's what I did today.

I took a bunch of pics of my dad at a ceremony the other day. I did my
Photoshop work on them and uploaded them to ritzpix.com. They were printed and
ready to be picked up in an hour.
They sent him an e-mail telling him when to pick the prints up (he lives near
there). So I managed to print off and "deliver" about 60 pics to him without
me ever leaving the house. Now admittedly, he wasn't too thrilled about
fighting that mall traffic on Dec. 24, but what the hey?

My biggest gripe with film is having to make 2 trips to the store (drop-off and
pick-up). Now, I only have to make 1.
And if I'm not in a hurry for them they'll mail them.
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 12:19:19 AM

The difference between uploading untweaked original digital images for
commercial mass market printing versus color managed/inidividually
tweaked/hi end inkjet printing is the difference between making snapshots
and photography.

Photography is not just pressing the camera shutter button. Even film based
professionals who do not personally do their own darkroom work use custom
printers who are essentially extensions of the photographer.

You can either take what you get or make what you get.
December 25, 2004 11:01:44 AM

Jim Redelfs wrote:

> > > Are there any other advantages to printing your own photos versus
> > > using Snapfish, Walmart or Ritz (other than cost)?
>
> > The only one that comes to mind is the instant gratification...
>
> Instant, eh?
>
> You must have a FAST printer!
>
> [ducking]
> :)

I want one of those Kodak 4x5 printers I saw on
TV that has a motion sensor and starts ejecting
the print before you actually touch the button.

Jeff
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 11:16:32 AM

I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum from most here I'd guess, I
LIKE doing my own prints, used to have a Darkroom now have 3 Epson
Printers. I find using Aftermarket ink(I use www.eforcity.com) and
buying Photo Paper at Costco I can keep my 8*10 prices in the
$0.40-$0.60 per print range a substantial savings over places like
Ritz. AS someone mentioned being able to fix colors and such is a big
plus too. Having said that I usually do 5*7's , I make up books and use
Epson's Film Factory software's Index Print option and put 6 pictures
on a sheet with filename so I can easily find the picture when my Mrs
asks for a picture to be printed.

No idea on Archival ability as I'm using aftermarket ink but I must say
I have images printed a couple years ago on my walls and still look
like the day they were printed.

I just printed 35 Custom Calanders for the family for Gifts, my wife
designs them in Appleworks and I print them then Bind them.

To Schill for Epson, my recent printer is the CX4600, $129.99 , $30
mail in rebate and $20 Visa Gift Card, has card slots for computerless
printing, Scanner/Photocopier and they give you 20 or so 4*6 sheets of
the Durabrite ink which print borderless. nice machine and inexpensive.
Not the Fastest of course but if you want fast you need a higher end
machine but it's pretty DARN QUIET!

Skennen Peace
----
http://www.cafepress.com/ohkwari
http://wishe.webhop.org
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 12:44:14 PM

Alan Wonsowski wrote:
> I'm relatively new to digital photography and use Ritz Photo to make
> my prints. I understand that it probably would cost a little more if
> I bought a photo quality printer and did them myself. Are there any
> other advantages to printing your own photos versus using Snapfish,
> Walmart or Ritz (other than cost)? Thanks.
> Alan

I can't speak for you or what you would be satisfied with, but I get a
great deal of satisfaction doing the necessary work to make a print, or
various sizes of prints, myself.

nick
!