Sign in with
Your question

PSU died, need a replacement any suggestions?

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
September 29, 2010 1:29:41 PM

Hi,

My PSU was making a nasty smell, then decided to die today. I have put in one that I stole out of my girlfriends PC, I use the PC alot so want one that is not overkill but is reliable, cool and quiet. Money is not too much of an issue, as I use the PC for work.

This is the one I had before HERE and am presuming it went cuz it is a cheapy one?

My PC spec:

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
ATI Radeon HD 4850 Vapor X
X2 SATA HDD
Realtek Wireless PCI Card
X2 2GB RAM (cant remember what type)
On board Audio
External USB HDD

I presume I need nowhere near a 750 watt PSU for that lot? If not any ideas on a suitable wattage and a good PSU that is reliable, cool and quiet?

Thanks.

September 29, 2010 1:59:41 PM

Honestly, 500w would probably be enough for that system. Computers don't draw as much power and everybody thinks they do :) 

Cosair, Antec, and Seasonic are all great supplies. Find something you like, and you'll be happy :) 
a b ) Power supply
September 29, 2010 2:08:54 PM

^+1

Corsair VX 450 is more than good for that rig. Next is Corsair VX 550, a bit overkill.
Related resources
September 29, 2010 2:16:32 PM

As mentioned above, 500w would be more than suitable for your needs. Do you have a price range in mind? Corsair is a good quality one, although it is generally more expensive than the rest.

As for the quality of the one you used to have, yeah... I doubt anyone would recommend the brand win power.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
September 29, 2010 2:26:29 PM

Thanks for the replies so quick, I may be able to get one ordered by the end of the day at this rate :) 

Around £60-70 I guess is my price range and I'd prefer to have one that is going to last. I use my PC on average 14 hours a day.

So this would be a good one to go for?
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
September 29, 2010 2:32:29 PM

Won't let me edit the above message...

So this would be a good one to go for?
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
September 29, 2010 2:36:49 PM

Right ok cool, I have ordered one and it will be here tomorrow :bounce: 

Thanks for your help guys :D 
!