youngwolf0

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Hey guys,

My PC is a gaming rig and it was my first home build, I put it together 3 years ago and have since then swapped out every part.

I recently upgraded from a dual core Pentium to a core 2 duo E8400 and it seemed fine for a few months. One day I left the PC to convert 20 720p tv shows to mp4 and left it for a few hours. After this Asus speedstep did not down-clock my CPU when idle anymore and my and the CPU temp hit 106 degrees C at peak. I have since replaced the cooler with a ZEROtherm Nirvana NV-129 which has solved the temp problem nicely.

However the speedstep problem remains, no matter what I am doing the CPU remains clocked at 3000MHZ, I monitor it with the Lcars gadget (which in the past showed when the CPU speed dipped).

I am worried that I may have damaged my cpu, what would be the best way to test it to see if it is running properly?

My spec
Case: Cool Master Cosmos S
CPU: Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo 3.0GHZ
GPU: XFX 8800GT 512mb
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 700W
CPU Fan: ZEROtherm Nirvana NV-129
Memory: Geil PC2 6400 2gb with heat sink X 2
Motherboard: ASUS p5n-d

also I have a small pci soundblaster sound card and a pci usb card.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Well you'd know if you have damaged your CPU as you would not be able to boot your PC. CPU's are one of those things where they either work fine, or your computer dies completely because of it.

So long as your temps are stable and fairly ok, then i wouldn't worry too much.

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

Check out Bios and see if Speed step is enabled!

youngwolf0

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
it is enabled and I have installed the latest bios and chip-set drivers, is their a bios setting somewhere that disables speed-step? Its a feature I really like so it would be good to have it again.