Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

First Build=Need Help

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 27, 2010 8:41:16 PM

hi, im building a computer for the first time, and need some confirmation and help. after a couple months of a lot of research (i think), i have a hypothetical finished computer build and believe it is ok. my budget is ~$1000, less is better. am building a gamer/multimedia pc, one that's fast enough so i wont have to upgrade for a while. ive gotten help from you guys, but now here is my final build idea:

i5-750+NZXT M59 case--$224

Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM + ASUS P7P55D-E Pro--$260

radeon 5770 (x2 in crossfire later)--$155

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus--$30

Seagate 1.5tb hd + thermaltake 750w psu--$160

Lite-on cd/dvd burner--$18

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers,

total cost is ~$850 with all the parts, and an extra $150 for win 7 and leeway=$1000
if there's anything wrong (incompatibility) or expensive about this build, tell me. thanks!

More about : build

July 27, 2010 9:13:54 PM

What resolution monitor will you be using?

If it is 1080P (1920 x 1080) or larger, then a stronger graphics card is in order. I suggest the newly launched GTX460, preferably the 1gb version at about $230. The base model at $199 is good too. Such a card may be all you ever need for a while. The GTX460 scales amazingly well in sli if you should ever need to upgrade.

I like the XFX power supplies better than Thermaltake. The XFX 650w unit delivers the same 52a as your seleted thermaltake 750w unit, and costs only $80 after rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The 750w unit is only $20 more and is silver certified efficient. Both are modular. The PSU is the last place you want to try to save money on.

Since you are shopping combo's, look at Corsair units also which are good quality and often show up in combo deals.

If you are a student, look for academic pricing of about $30 on windows-7.


Still, if you did not change a thing it looks good.

Take the time to download the manual for your case and motherboard in advance. Read them cover to cover and ask about anything that is unclear.
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

July 27, 2010 9:24:05 PM

That's a slow Hard-drive, and a 7200.11, I'd say avoid.

i5 750 + P7P55D Pro $350
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
ASUS HD5770 + 4GB Reaper X $240
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
Samsung F3 1TB+Corsair TX650 $140
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
Silverstone PS05 + Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit $140
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
Hyper 212+ $30
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-RR-B10-212P-G1-Univ...
DVD writer $18
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total $918 shipped including Windows, before ~$65 MIR.
Share
July 27, 2010 9:43:52 PM

im def. going with the i5-750, but if you have a better mobo than what i picked, go ahead and tell me.

the hd 5870 is much too expensive for me, as i was going to go with the $230-cheaper 5770 and crossfire it if i need more performance, wich is still cheaper than your 5870. however, i might get a 460, as that looks pretty good to me.

the xfx 750w psu looks sweet, thanks.

is madmiral's case/optical drive combo better than my picks, because mine are both cheaper
m
0
l
July 27, 2010 9:48:28 PM

danman12 said:
im def. going with the i5-750, but if you have a better mobo than what i picked, go ahead and tell me.

the hd 5870 is much too expensive for me, as i was going to go with the $230-cheaper 5770 and crossfire it if i need more performance, wich is still cheaper than your 5870. however, i might get a 460, as that looks pretty good to me.

the xfx 750w psu looks sweet, thanks.

is madmiral's case/optical drive combo better than my picks, because mine are both cheaper

The Samsung F3 are about 20% faster on reads, which affects the boot-up of windows, loading time in games and system responsiveness for the most part.

Really consider this combo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

The TX650 out puts the same 52A on the 12V rail and uses the same basic design as the XFX.
m
0
l
July 27, 2010 9:54:27 PM

ii keep thinking i need at least 750w, but i guess i don't.

wow, thanks timop. you saved me some dough.
m
0
l
July 27, 2010 10:00:02 PM

No problem.

Though you don't even NEED 650W, a dual 5770 system draws around 300W on load. XD
m
0
l
July 27, 2010 10:02:29 PM

oh. well, i put my specs into two diff. wattage calcs and bothe said around 700-750, so i guess i incorrectly filled out some of the peripherals and data i didn't understand
m
0
l
July 27, 2010 10:23:55 PM

i'd say go amd. and get a cf ready mobo and a 5850( it's a better bang for the buck than a 5870) .

a build for $997.90 before rebates and it's cf ready

mobo+os: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

cpu+gpu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

case+ps: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

hsf: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

hdd: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

odd: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
here is a build with the gtx 460(which when oced can score realy closelt to a 5850/5870 and when sli'ed can outpreform an oced gtx 480) and an sli ready mobo for $957.90 before rebates

case+ps: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

hsf: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

hdd: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

odd: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

cpu+mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

gpu+os: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

pick what build you like the best.

happy building ;)  .

also madadmiral won't an athlon ii x3 bottleneck the 5870 especially when crossfired? just asking :whistle: 
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/athlon-ii-x3-440-ga...
m
0
l
July 27, 2010 10:57:08 PM

sorry mrhoshos96, but im going with the i5-750 no matter what, which changes a lot of your picks. im not an amd hater, but i like the i5-750 better than the Phenom II x4 blk ed.
m
0
l
July 27, 2010 10:59:45 PM

danman12 said:
oh. well, i put my specs into two diff. wattage calcs and bothe said around 700-750, so i guess i incorrectly filled out some of the peripherals and data i didn't understand


That is one of the problems with wattage calculators. Even if you understand all of the terms, how can you be accurate about allocating reserve power or future needs?

It seems to me that a ROT may even give less misleading results.
My rule of thumb is that if a quality PSU has sufficient 6 or 8 pin pci-e power connectors to attach to all of your video cards, then it has sufficient power for any normal configuration. The key metric of capability for a PSU is not the wattage, but the amperage on the 12v line/s.

My short list of quality PSU's include Corsair, XFX,Seasonic, PC P&C, and perhaps Antec.
m
0
l
July 27, 2010 11:24:46 PM

danman12 said:
sorry mrhoshos96, but im going with the i5-750 no matter what, which changes a lot of your picks. im not an amd hater, but i like the i5-750 better than the Phenom II x4 blk ed.

but why amd is much more future proof inel's 1156 is going to be replaced in 2011 and the difference in gaming is just 1-3 fps is that worth the $100 difference??
but still if u realy want the i5 just get it but you will regret it.
anyways here is an intel build for $1,042.91 before rebates

case+ps: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

hsf: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

hdd: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

odd: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

gpu+os: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

cpu+mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

the gtx 460 is much better than the 5770

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-review/

and when sli'ed http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_4...

m
0
l
July 28, 2010 12:08:31 AM

Nothing is really future proof.

How many times will we actually put in a low end cpu and later upgrade it to the fastest?

Usually, we will dump the old system and go with the new which will be faster, cooler, and cheaper.

The best future proof components are monitors, psu's, keyboards, mice, cases.
m
0
l
July 28, 2010 2:10:17 AM

i agree, geofelt. after all, i dont think ill be doing much upgrading, and will just give the overly-fast-for-my-parents-computer to them and build a new one in 3 or 4 yrs.
m
0
l
July 28, 2010 2:20:57 AM

danman12 said:
i agree, geofelt. after all, i dont think ill be doing much upgrading, and will just give the overly-fast-for-my-parents-computer to them and build a new one in 3 or 4 yrs.

It is nice to be able to do that.
I like to build a new machine when new generations come out. I really don't have to, and one problem is what to do with a perfectly good previous PC.
I have given the old PC's to my two sons.
Unfortunately, they are perfectly happy with them and do not need or want to mess with converting to a newer better PC.
With Sandy bridge approaching, I am getting the itch again. My plan is to disassemble my current system and sell the parts so I can justify a new build to my wife.
m
0
l
July 28, 2010 2:26:33 AM

geofelt said:
It is nice to be able to do that.
I like to build a new machine when new generations come out. I really don't have to, and one problem is what to do with a perfectly good previous PC.
I have given the old PC's to my two sons.
Unfortunately, they are perfectly happy with them and do not need or want to mess with converting to a newer better PC.
With Sandy bridge approaching, I am getting the itch again. My plan is to disassemble my current system and sell the parts so I can justify a new build to my wife.

One solution, makes more sons!
LOL JK.
m
0
l
July 28, 2010 2:34:34 AM

mrhoshos, is the extra $60 worth the upgrade to the gtx460? your guru article says it is as good as the 5830, and Tom's says the 5830 is on par with my 5770. the 460 is better, but i dont know if it is truly worth it. sway me.
m
0
l
July 28, 2010 2:35:31 AM

Timop said:
One solution, makes more sons!
LOL JK.


At age 72, that is no longer an option.
m
0
l
July 28, 2010 2:38:33 AM

the 5830 is 10% better than the 5770, and the 460 1GB is another 10% faster than the 5830, single card-wise the GTX460 is alright, but not worth the $60.

Heres an pretty extensive with all three cards (and more), read it and see if you're fine with the 5770: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_46...
m
0
l
July 28, 2010 2:41:22 AM

geofelt said:
At age 72, that is no longer an option.

Consider adoption? :love:  lol
Ill gladly be included in your computer pass-down cycle though. XD
m
0
l
July 28, 2010 2:45:59 AM

i see that it is better, and the availability of support for CUDA, PhysX and 3D Vision is appealing, but i dont know if i need it. does that mean that if i try to play a game with physx it wont work, or wont be top-notch? i usually dont deal with these ideas when playing my games, as they're prebuilt...
even so, is it worth it, or should i just crossfire two 5770's if i experience a lack of performance?
m
0
l
July 28, 2010 2:46:59 AM

ill take a computer or two as well, geofelt...
m
0
l
July 28, 2010 2:55:13 AM

danman12 said:
i see that it is better, and the availability of support for CUDA, PhysX and 3D Vision is appealing, but i dont know if i need it. does that mean that if i try to play a game with physx it wont work, or wont be top-notch? i usually dont deal with these ideas when playing my games, as they're prebuilt...
even so, is it worth it, or should i just crossfire two 5770's if i experience a lack of performance?

PhysX is mostly just eye candy, and the only one that REALLY needs it as of now is Batman:AA, in other games its just a difference of little glass shards here and there. Besides,a cheap GT220 can do PhsyX just fine if you really want it.

CUDA is helpful if you need it, The only "gaming" application is that Just cause 2 has a special water effect that uses CUDA, but its easily ignored. Unless you have CS5 or professional programs that benefit from CUDA, there no point.

3D is still a very young technology, and unless you really want to spend $500 on a new monitor/glasses, 3D Vision is again just a feature you'll never use. The fact is, when the time comes that you need to upgrade you monitor, ATIs solutions probably gonna be out.

So it just comes out to the point that do you need the extra raw power in a GTX460, read the benchmark and see if the increase in FPS is noticeable/worth the money for your resolution.
m
0
l
July 28, 2010 3:40:43 AM

not worth it for me, sorry mrhoshos.
m
0
l
July 28, 2010 10:32:58 AM

geofelt said:
Nothing is really future proof.

How many times will we actually put in a low end cpu and later upgrade it to the fastest?

Usually, we will dump the old system and go with the new which will be faster, cooler, and cheaper.

The best future proof components are monitors, psu's, keyboards, mice, cases.

yah but in my country future proofness is very important bec. new hardware takes months maybe years to come here in egypt. so if i will build a new system i have to order it from the us.
m
0
l
July 28, 2010 12:54:00 PM

well, not to rain on your parade or anything, but i live in the us and plan on building multiple computers, so upgrading isn't a big problem.
m
0
l
July 29, 2010 3:33:30 PM

I thought only the OCZ golds had problems and it was with AMD?

m
0
l
July 29, 2010 3:43:41 PM

i think it's with intel and it's the gold and platinum
m
0
l
July 29, 2010 3:47:01 PM

Probably with both. But regardless, the reapers should be just fine, Ive never heard anyone having problems with them AFAIK.
m
0
l
July 30, 2010 2:59:53 AM

Best answer selected by danman12.
m
0
l
!